Thread: Video Card Problem

LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    For some reason... I recently purchased a XFX GeForce 6600 GT Video Card... And well it sure as hell beats my old ATI Radeon 8400LE... But then when I play Counter STrike... Because I am bored of WarCraft III: TFT... I lag like a mofo and can only hit 60fps.. Even after putt the fps_max 101 I still hit 60...

Bah.. And so I am curious as to what setting my Video Card has set or whatever to cause this... So what can I change to get my fps up to at LEAST 100.. Since 60 is HORRIBLE and worse than my 8500LE...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Download Coolbits to get into the guts of your card.

Yes, I am being intentionally cryptic.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Sorry but before I try out the Program what am I supposed to do with it? LIke just tweak around with the settings?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It's cryptic.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    After it's added to the registry ( which it will do automatically when opened), Coolbits will enable manual/auto overclocking of the card.

Just go to Display Panel>Settings>Advanced>nVidia 6600.
    A menu will appear on the side and one of the options is "clock frequency settings".
    You can have the app "detect optimal settings" or you can play around yourself.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm pretty sure that by default antialiasing settings and anisotropic filtering are set to "Application Controlled".

You may find that antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are set to ridiculously high levels in some progs, and they can have a dramatic effect on frame rate.

That said, at 60fps you should not notice any problems, your eye is physically incapable of reacting that fast. If you are seeing jerky motion what may be happening is that the card is operating at 110fps for half a second (giving 55 frames), then 20fps for the other half a second (giving 5 frames). Although that still works out at 60fps it will be far from smooth. It is a typical side effect of having one of the above mentioned settings too high, but I can't remember which one.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can get these problems because the drivers don't install properly for some reason. Uninstalling them and re-installing usually fixes things if that's what's happening here.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.