Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torrents so slow...

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ok...My bittorent downloads always go at around 1-3 Kbs....it sucks. With a VERY healthy file even. I am connected to like 20 peers and goes at 2kbs...its retarted..and my router never seems to forward ports...do torrents suck for everyone this bad? Any suggestions..?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Retired
    which port(s) are you using?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    No bittorent does not suck for everyone. I usually max out my 5Mb/s connection with just a few peer/seeders.

More info please and we can probably get you going.
    Client?
    Dial-up? Cable? DSL?
    Tracker? Public or Private?
    Home network?

Also, most clients express speeds in KB/s. (1 - 3 KB/s = 8 - 24Kb/s)
    Last edited by Dredpirate; 08-09-2005 at 07:05 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Alright thanks guys.

I use Northland Cable. If anyone has heard of them..?
    I did use Sprint DSL and id set up ports for forwarding, and it never seemed to work either.

I have Cable.

If a Tracker is the program you use to download, I use Bittornado.

I have a home network with another computer...but they are hardly ever on it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    The Tracker is the site that hosts the torrent link. ie piratebay etc..

Your client is Bittorado.

Can you easily set your system up so the cable modem is connected directly to your computer and network off that. Thats what I do (it's the easy way) cause I don't have much experience with routers and I have noticed that most problems with bittorent are because people are behind a router. If your behind a router and are not "connectable" bittorent uploads and downloads suffers greatly.

If you can't or don't want to put your computer in front of the router I would suggest this site ( http://btfaq.com ) for help on configuring your router. If nothing else it may help you narrow down the problem and then you can ask more specific ones here because it sounds like you have more going on then not just not being "connectable".

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Retired
    change the nr. of ports to max 10. (5555 / 5565 for example) then post forward those 10 in your router.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Thats what I do...but then when I set up a Static IP it seems to mess up my internet..

You have to have a static IP to forward tho right? Cuz it only forwards them on one IP right?

I use www.torrentspy.com

How can I plug the router directly into my computer and then network?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    Thats what I do...but then when I set up a Static IP it seems to mess up my internet..

You have to have a static IP to forward tho right? Cuz it only forwards them on one IP right?
    If you have cable then you most likely don't have a static IP. It won't change very often buts thats not static. Don't think it matters with port forwarding.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    How can I plug the router directly into my computer and then network?
    Main computer just needs 2 network cards. $5 each. One for Modem one for network or you can USB to modem if your modem allows it. You don't actually need a router to network. Just setup the other computers to access the internet through the main one. All of its built into Windows XP. I'm sure theres other utilities if your useing another OS.
    Last edited by Dredpirate; 08-10-2005 at 09:41 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Im sure Windows would make it pretty easy..Would having the 2 cards and them use the internet through my computer slow anything down a lot?

And would doing this, and having no router, just make it to where I dont need to forward any ports?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Routers slow you down. It will use some system resources but from the specs of your computer, I don't think it will be noticable.

Directly connecting Network cards allows you to utilize the maximum speed of the card. 100Mb/s cards going through a 50Mb/s router will be less then 50Mb/s. With no router your going at 100Mb/s. (thats computer to computer transfer rates, I know you don't get that speed from cable)

Your main comp is connected directly to the modem, so you get the max speed available. Your other computers internet speeds will be comprable to going through a router but who cares about them, you said they are not used much.

No port fowarding. No worries m8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast