Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best distro for video editing

- - NL - - BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    do you know when in april please ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    If you have the latest version of Suse Linux that supports rpm's/yum (heard the old ones didnt support it), you can go to a terminal and type in yum search vlc, or for rpm, i think its the same, just connect to the livna network.

From there, just search through the packages that you want and just type yum install filename. from there, your good to go. It does it all for you.

And if you dont have a version of Suse that supports yum/rpm, then I have no idea on how you would install vlc as thats what did to install it.

EDIT* God, I didnt notice how old this was until I decided to read the date on the first post. Cant believe someone would revive a post that was posted about 1.5 years ago!!
    Last edited by DemonicFire; 04-14-2007 at 11:01 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    they are bumping old threads like this to get their post count up so they can get into the invite section.

suse 9.3 never had yum that was introduced in whats now called fedora.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    rediculed BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    dont have a whole lot of an opinion here but i use fedora myself. it seems to work ok. only distro ive ever used though. i should prob note though that it doesnt have support for not free formats out of the box but enableing it is nt too hard just a matter of d/l the codec pack and using yum to install it.

invite always be free. no trades. remember sharing is caring.
    bt rep should be abolished.
    life is about choices and consequences. you make your choices but remember only you have yourself to blame when you realize the consequences. personal experience taught me that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    There are two video editing packages which are very good and can be used in most distributions, they are LiVES (Linux Video Editing System) and Avidemux which is similar to VirtualDub, any distribution can be configured with the software to do what you want, but these two editors are very good.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    I'd too check out Ubuntu Studio, Im pretty sure there's a fairly stable beta release out there already if you're interested. Getting the best linux video editing apps combined with the stability of the debian/ubuntu backend, not to even mention APT, sounds very good. And as with every Ubuntu out there, the desktop environment is always the users choice. I mean, when it's as easy as 'sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop' to change from eg. gnome to xfce, why wouldn't you at least try? Hey, it's free anyway!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12