Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB problem

lynx's Avatar .
    I've seen similar problems with some cheap webcams. The problem is often badly written installation scripts, so only part of the drivers get installed. That then screws up the USB port so nothing works properly.

Of course, you probably tried the next port and it recognised it in that the first time, but not the second time because that port is now blocked too. And so on until you've satisfactorily blocked all your ports.

If this is the problem, the only way round it is to uninstall the webcam drivers. Trouble is, the uninstall script is probably even worse than the install script in which case you will have to check the .inf to see exactly what it has installed and phyicaly remove them (and the .inf file) from your system.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Santa's Avatar dvhyt5er
    Pro -check if xp sees an error in you r usb
    Click Start, and click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
    2. Click System, and then click the Hardware tab.
    3. Click the Device Manager button.
    4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    check that there is no question mark or error

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    No errors, says it's all working fine, i think the problem (if its possible) may be in the configuration of the usb ports, cause they used to work fine, now they're...ghey!

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I've seen similar problems with some cheap webcams. The problem is often badly written installation scripts, so only part of the drivers get installed. That then screws up the USB port so nothing works properly.

Of course, you probably tried the next port and it recognised it in that the first time, but not the second time because that port is now blocked too. And so on until you've satisfactorily blocked all your ports.

If this is the problem, the only way round it is to uninstall the webcam drivers. Trouble is, the uninstall script is probably even worse than the install script in which case you will have to check the .inf to see exactly what it has installed and phyicaly remove them (and the .inf file) from your system.
    I know f all about webcams, tis a logitech quickcam messenger, only thing is, I know the problem's not with the software cause the one on the other PC works fine

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    kazaa2002's Avatar lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bo
    I know f all about webcams, tis a logitech quickcam messenger, only thing is, I know the problem's not with the software cause the one on the other PC works fine
    Pro, I had a similiar problem with a zen micro player...
    we had 2 players....but usb cord on one was not working
    caused problems.
    had a cheap digital camera...usb cord problem...
    resolved it by borrowing working cord, perhaps you could borrow
    cord from the other pc's webcam...I know it is farfetched but maybe...

it is the small things that usually drive us mad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12