Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Christmas-Is it offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I would like to point out that I think it is entirely possible that a man called Jesus could have existed.

You think.
    there's lots of 'em in spanish-speaking countries.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    jesus makes the best pizzas in fev

well he used to anyway

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    pronounced hey zeus, i think

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley

You think.
    there's lots of 'em in spanish-speaking countries.
    One in my daughters class.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    well im not christian i do not find it offensive. If anyhting i like fact of recieving gifts.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    One is hard pushed to find a Muslim or a Hindu that complains about Christmas. Many go further and happily decorate their shops at Christmas time. I have a Hindu friend who sends me a Christmas card every year.

In those places where there are issues one usually finds it is actually some PC obsessed minor official who has over stepped the mark. The papers leap upon as if it is some major crisis and obtain a quote from some rabid fundamentalist (religion unimportant) who represents no-one in particular.

The Christmas Festival is not particularly religious (and certainly not specifically Christian) - although one can go to a Church for a more religiously focused version of the holiday if one desires. I can't say I have noticed any diminuation of the holiday at all - if anything it seems to get bigger and longer (and more expensive ) The BBC will have still have Carols from Kings on Christmas day and the world will continue in its orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by gripper103.2
    This is my point exactly,try walking into the middle of Leicester on Dwalli and tell them to stop because it offends you,you'd have a riot on you're hands.
    But us British we quite happily sit back and allow stupid beuracrats to whittle away at things that make us a nation.
    It also plays right into the hands of racists and thugs who use it as an excuse to attack racially different people.
    Like Dave says if theres a celebration going on,I'm up for it,don't care what we're celebrating as long as everyones enjoying themselves,far to much negativity going round.
    As for the commercial side...I'm leaving that one well alone
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I agree with the idea that they should not be able to put up nativity scenes and such. They are out there to help people. The last thing they want is an enraged group of muslimis attacking them because they have a nativity scene out. I think you would all compromise putting out a nativity scene for your own safety. As for the christmas lights/winter lights, I have grown up with a Christian family although I am not a Christian myself, and have been open to both the Christian Christmas and the commercialized christmas(santa clause, reindeer, presents, etc) I dont think people should be kept from saying christmas lights. Some people call the lights Winter lights, and some people call them christmas lights. The only way I could see soemone being offended is if someone really dislikes the name christmas lights, and they are locked in a room where the phrase "Christmas lights" is repeated over and over again. Otherwise, I dont think it really matters, because people call things whatever they want anyways.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    I agree with the idea that they should not be able to put up nativity scenes and such.
    Why?

Muslims have a rich history of celebrating their important holidays. I have outlined here the ones celebrated by both the Sunni and Shia Muslims and then listed the additional holidays celebrated by the Shias who include the important dates during the course of the hereditary succession from Prophet Muhammad (sas) who appointed Hazrat Ali (as) as the successor to his important mission on earth.

These events are celebrated in families and become community affairs where special prayers are offered for being blessed with the joyous occasions. There is a lot of merrimaking and rejoicing including application of henna, decorating houses and streets with lights and decorations, cooking special dinners and sweets which are distributed to everyone present. Everyone wears new clothes and children receive money and gifts. The celebrations include oral renditions of the Quran and beautiful poetry is recited in the praise of Allah, Prophet Muhammad and Hazrat Ali. Since Muslims make up a rich tapestry of many nations and languages, these are recited in the local language besides the traditional Arabic for Quranic recitations.
    Should we be offended by hearing your poetry and seeing your decorations then?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123