Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7800gtx amdx2 2gbram-no games run good

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kk4S-HaVoK
    A few things i thought of

1. Could it be my cpu as the clock speed is only 2000mhz
    2. Could it be my ram not working with the gfx card correctlly
    3. I have never owned a psu that has removable cables, so could i have connected them incorrectly (the 6pin pci express cable only has 2 pins in the psu-end connector, and one of the connectors on the psu had two pins, so in it went).
    4. I use the dvi slot next to the mobo (i can't fit the vga adapter on the other)
    could that be it
    5. Do you reckon it's worth seeing if they'll swap the parts, and eliminate the problem that way.
    1) it says 2000mhz, but its actually 2400 (2.4ghz), besides, amd is known for performance, not for how fast it is (intel=teh sux)
    2) impossible, as a last resolution (but prob. not cuz u have a nice cooling system set up) try heat spreaders
    3) possibly, i wouldnt know sorry ask clocker
    4) what happened to the VGA port on the gfx card?
    5) probably not, static electricity might be a possibility but then again if that was the case u'd have a pretty big paperweight on ur computer table.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    ok thanx

the ram came with heat spreaders on it and the gfx card hasn't got a vga port it has got 2 dvi's and 1 svideo

>>>plod's of to his thinking chair>>>

Edit: also i wore a static wrist jobby wether they really help or not
    Last edited by Kk4S-HaVoK; 11-30-2005 at 08:41 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hmmm...
    Seems to me that the PCI-e connector had three pins on the side that plugs into the main unit.
    Do you have another (the unit I got only had one PCI-e 6-pin connector anyway) wire line with a 6-pin on the device end and three on the PSU end?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    oops typo my bad
    yeh 3 for pci-e and 2 for mobo power (4 pin)

I really want to try the sound card thing again it has given results everywhere i have read. i say this beacause i was browsing around the system and in device manager i noticed the trust soundcard wasn't there anymore.so i took it out and popped it bak in and it wasn't working.so in another system it went and nothing. i'm hopin the card was dying when i tryed it thus giving me no results .

But i don't want to spend a ton on something i don't need, then again if i buy a cheap-o one it might not have enough oomph to run itself. any ideas???

Just to throw something else in it takes 20 mins for a 2.6gb rar file to drag and drop from my dvdrom and dvdr\w. with dma enabled on both drives

bed will look more tommorrow

ta guys

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Can't you do a test run without a soundcard to verify that is your problem?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kk4S-HaVoK
    oops typo my bad
    yeh 3 for pci-e and 2 for mobo power (4 pin)

I really want to try the sound card thing again it has given results everywhere i have read. i say this beacause i was browsing around the system and in device manager i noticed the trust soundcard wasn't there anymore.so i took it out and popped it bak in and it wasn't working.so in another system it went and nothing. i'm hopin the card was dying when i tryed it thus giving me no results .

But i don't want to spend a ton on something i don't need, then again if i buy a cheap-o one it might not have enough oomph to run itself. any ideas???

Just to throw something else in it takes 20 mins for a 2.6gb rar file to drag and drop from my dvdrom and dvdr\w. with dma enabled on both drives

bed will look more tommorrow

ta guys
    although i've never done that before, i think 20 min for a 2.6gb file is just wayyyy too long. i think it has something to do with your motherboard, drivers may be up to date but it can be something else. what about BIOS (probably not, but just a guess)?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    i did a test run w\o a sound card and on board disabled but gta:sa wouldn't boot up and quake 4 still stuttered. i was hoping having a working dedicated s\card may help (don't reckon)
    also bios is up to date and the chipset drivers on asus's site are 6.65 and so are my cd ones. (although the ones on asus;s site when i exctract them are in folders named pataraid and sataraid) as i have no raid setup i haven't used them, also i enabled system defaults and still nowt.
    twenty minutes to drag sux. i put the same dvd in my p4 system (2.8ghz 768mb ddr) and it did in about 9mins, and about 9-10 in my ladys athlon xp 2400+ (2ghz 512mb ddr), and again 9-10 mins in my bros sony viao laptop (2.9ghz celeron 512mb ddr).

I must be missing something but everything i get advised to try i seem to of already done. (not that i don't appreciate the help)

Back to work now but i will try and find more ideas. i will focus on the mobo a bit when i get home as i don't think its the gfx (i just wish you could see the games run its so strange, no matter what resolution or quality settings its the same amount of stutter bloody stutter it gets no worse or better)

any more ideas out there guys?
    k.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    OK...random ideas.

-Is your board jumpered (or however Asus handles it) for NON-SLI mode and is the card in the 16x slot?

-Is BIOS set to display PCI-e first and are there any other BIOS settings relevant to video (i.e. "maximum payload size" or the like)?

-Install Coolbits and see what your max stable settings can be and try running them.

-What temp is the vid card running?

_Finally...could your monitor be the problem?
    Last edited by clocker; 12-02-2005 at 02:19 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    did you try updating your BIOS?
    (hope this wasn't already mentioned)
    I know that some motherboards solve the issue with a nice BIOS fix.

Also, were did you purchase the card from? was it used?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    ya, dont know if this has already been said, but have u checked in BIOS to make sure PCI-e is enabled and that ur video card is indeed configured for PCI-e (i remember when i bought my pci-e, bios showed it as PCI, dont ask why it was like that i have no idea, i had to change it to PCI-e). and if all else fails, return the card, and demand an exchange or refund.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast