Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting 2 GIGs of RAM and turning off virtual memory?

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I wonder in my setup if 2 gigs would give any noticeable improvements. I have an asus board with dual channel ddr400, and I run 1 gig now (2x512). I set my page file to a static 1500 or something. I never tried turning off the swap file. I also heard that running your swap file on another drive or partition speeds things up. Any info on this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Brilliant.

Loads of people saying "I've never tried it but I'm sure it won't make much difference". Just the sort of people I like to take advice from.

Oh, hang on, I have tried it and I find it makes a tremendous difference. Better ignore my opinion then.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mïcrösöül°V³
    I wonder in my setup if 2 gigs would give any noticeable improvements. I have an asus board with dual channel ddr400, and I run 1 gig now (2x512). I set my page file to a static 1500 or something. I never tried turning off the swap file. I also heard that running your swap file on another drive or partition speeds things up. Any info on this?
    Im curious about that other partition thing.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Many people claim that putting the swap file in a separate partition (preferably on a different physical drive than the OS) will increase performance.
    I've tried this (and just about any other combination of virtual memory size/partition/location I could arrange).

Can't say I noticed much, if any, difference at all.

Give it a try yourself...your mileage may vary.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If it's hard to notice...then what's the point hehe.
    I only notice a "major" difference in speed after upgrading my hardware most of the time. (Faster CPU, Video Card... the core components of your system's overall performance really.)

The only software tweaks I notice a speed improvement from are after defragging a very fragmented hardrive and cleaning over 300+ bad registry entries. I believe cleaning the registry too often is a bad thing, but once in awhile is ok. Kinda like Red Bull.

Hell, I'd say the majority of windows tweaks are merely for user customization or curiosity. Speed is hardly noticed after messing with all those cache settings...it's the human brain that tends to believe speed has been gained when nothing has changed whatsoever.

In some cases, a tweak may even nock out system stability...ouch. (i.e... this Virtual Memory *cough* tweak *fart*)

I stand by defraging and registry tweaks because they both successfully decrease windows xp's load times. Windows Explorer tends to gain the most speed, because it'll start to flash open windows and icons, when it was dragging it's ass taking 2-4 seconds opening them a few minutes before running those two processes.
    Last edited by Wolfmight; 01-07-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12