Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Football thrashes other sports for excitement, scientists say

Cheese's Avatar Poster
    People get excited/bored by different things. I find the constant stop/start of Cricket, Rugby, American Football and Baseball very boring. Soccer stops and starts also of course but it just seems to flow quicker, there is not so much time spent waiting for the action to resume.

On the flip-side the highscoring of Basketball (we do have it here, draws aboout 200 fans per match for a good team) makes me feel very little when points are scored.

One huge advantage soccer does have in the excitement/interest stakes is that it has the only global competition in the world, The World Cup, where almost every nation takes part (I don't count the Olympics because that's just running and stuff). The 1986 World Cup was when I first started watching football. Not playing, watching. I think a lot of people's addiction to watching soccer stems from this tournament.
    Last edited by Cheese; 01-05-2006 at 11:47 AM.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese
    People get excited/bored by different things. I find the constant stop/start of Cricket, Rugby, American Football and Baseball very boring. Soccer stops and starts also of course but it just seems to flow quicker, there is not so much time spent waiting for the action to resume.

On the flip-side the highscoring of Basketball (we do have it here, draws aboout 200 fans per match for a good team) makes me feel very little when points are scored.

One huge advantage soccer does have in the excitement/interest stakes is that it has the only global competition in the world, The World Cup, where almost every nation takes part (I don't count the Olympics because that's just running and stuff). The 1986 World Cup was when I first started watching football. Not playing, watching. I think a lot of people's addiction to watching soccer stems from this tournament.
    I think over here, we like scoring.

I've watched a basketball game where there was probably 5 min without a score. I was fucking bored. I like to see good defenses but not alota back and forth without result. Tug-o-war is boring. I want someone to fall in and then we start over.

I used to hate basketball when I was little but then I saw Michael Jordan play and was fucking amazed. I thought how could someone totally demolish another team seemingly individually....after seeing him then the game itself started being amazing. How could one shoot a ball into a hole with proficiency, not much bigger than the ball itself. There's a certain gratification with every single shot. Then you've got the gracefulness, dunking, making people fall from misdirection, buzzer beaters, and showtime....players may make moves that are considered showing off but they do it with such proficiency that it's natural and sometimes gives an advantage....like say a behind the back pass or dribbling through someone else's legs.

As an aside, I think baseball is THE most boring of them. There is no time to the game. Many times when I've gone to a game, shit didn't starting happening until about the 6th inning and going to the game is more appealing then watching it on TV. I think it's more of a chill sport. One where it's about socializing and then jumping up in between. Basketball tends to have me glued to even subtle nuances more.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I've watched a basketball game where there was probably 5 min without a score. I was fucking bored. I like to see good defenses but not alota back and forth without result.
    i feel the same, but would characterize it thus:

I love good defense, but if the shots that are taken never go in, the defense is, in effect, wasted.

The defense should definitely make the offense work for the shot, but the "O" should only take good shots, too.

I like to watch a good offensive team work a good defensive team.

I remember a couple of years ago watching the Spurs take on...I can't remember who, but the other team was giving San Antonio fits until the Spurs started forcing them to appear to be playing zone, and the refs started calling it and kept calling it until things loosened up.

Duncan is a very heady player.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I've watched a basketball game where there was probably 5 min without a score. I was fucking bored. I like to see good defenses but not alota back and forth without result.

I love good defense, but if the shots that are taken never go in, the defense is, in effect, wasted.
    Is that statement as mental as it sounds or is it that some hoops take a ball better than others.

Shirley not.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    I wonder how many scousers got so excited they had to nick a TV for May 25th 2005.

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Is that statement as mental as it sounds...
    Not at all.

I merely like to see quality play at both ends of the floor...often good defensive play is not complemented by commensurate offense, and vice-versa.

Such promotes the enjoyment of the spectator and the real, true entertainment value of the sport.

Perhaps the concept is beyond you.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Is that statement as mental as it sounds...
    Not at all.

I merely like to see quality play at both ends of the floor...often good defensive play is not complemented by commensurate offense, and vice-versa.

Such promotes the enjoyment of the spectator and the real, true entertainment value of the sport.

Ya, putting a ball thro a hoop is complex.

The perfect defence would negate an offence. Meaning that no baskets are scored. Not meaning that no shots are taken, I mean that the shot taking player is never able to get a shot at the basket without being put off his action and/or he is blocked to an extent such that no points are scored.

I wouldn't call that a wasted effort.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!

Not at all.

Yes it is, provided you aren't right by the basket and even then I see people miss. The basket isn't at eye level...unless you're Yao Ming or Shaq.

Take a defensive player out of the picture and shooting a 3-pointer will still be hard for most. Hell, many of the fucking professionals can't hit a foul shot for shit and it's fucking pathetic.

Then I see some fella that never misses from the 3-point line and he's in the 9th grade.
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-06-2006 at 12:54 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yes it is, provided you aren't right by the basket and even then I see people miss. The basket isn't at eye level...unless you're Yao Ming or Shaq.

Take a defensive player out of the picture and shooting a 3-pointer will still be hard for most. Hell, many of the fucking professionals can't hit a foul shot for shit and it's fucking pathetic.

Then I see some fella that never misses from the 3-point line and he's in the 9th grade.
    No shit, dude.

j2 mentioned the concept, to which I was referring. Getting an image in one's mind's eye of a ball going thro' a hoop isn't too complex for me.

Actually doing it is a bitch - even if I'm standing right by the basket

10. Sports Club   -   #20

No shit, dude.

j2 mentioned the concept, to which I was referring. Getting an image in one's mind's eye of a ball going thro' a hoop isn't too complex for me.

Actually doing it is a bitch - even if I'm standing right by the basket
    Boy, you really are a banker, huh?

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast