Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 56k Users

I agree, I distribute as well, and there are deffinitly not enough of us, considering the apperent demand as I see ul slots fill quickly when I carry these files.
    In addition I concede the point now as stated by Sw, if your a 56ker ul 10 files (5kb/s divided by 10 = 0.5) you are trashing everones ul slots including other 56kers that have maybe only one. There is in a sence a limited amount of ul slots to be taken. So point taken, get the f**k out and use common sense, there is a happy middle. Truthfully,even I have whacked a couple of snails from time to time.
    Maybe you wise folks could develop a tool that if it sees an ul below a given speed (preferably user selectable) it gets whacked!! I am almost positive this can be done. Wheres Paul.

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    ya, i think something like that would be handy, not that im anti 56ker, but just in the situation where I am sharing those newly released files, etc... knowing that the kazaa leech thingy, can shut people down for not sharing, maybe something like that can be made for rates???

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@26 April 2003 - 02:31
    ya, i think something like that would be handy, not that im anti 56ker, but just in the situation where I am sharing those newly released files, etc... knowing that the kazaa leech thingy, can shut people down for not sharing, maybe something like that can be made for rates???
    This is a common problem. Trying to send out lots of files from a slow connection can be murder on the network. This is one reason why IRC is so popular. Say someone gets 85% of a file, then gets cut off. If this were kazaa, he would have to jump back in que, and wait for an open slot. On IRC, the community is very friendly. I've seen people open up an extra send slot, just so that I can finish that last 15% of a file. People realize that complete sources help files to spread, not partial ones.

I've seen people download 90% of a movie file from me, only to get disconnected. Sometimes, I'll never see this user again. So maybe they found another sources, but probably not, especially if its a rare file. Too bad a system isn't in place to "finish off" the file for this user.
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    Poster
    Originally posted by Jibbler@26 April 2003 - 16:09
    This is a common problem.  ... Say someone gets 85% of a file, then gets cut off.  If this were kazaa, he would have to jump back in que, and wait for an open slot. ... People realize that complete sources help files to spread, not partial ones.

I've seen people download 90% of a movie file from me, only to get disconnected.  Sometimes, I'll never see this user again.  So maybe they found another sources, but probably not, especially if its a rare file.  Too bad a system isn't in place to "finish off" the file for this user.
    BearShare, Shareaza, Limewire, and Gnucleus and many other Gnutella programs make serious attempts to finish file uploads instead of only giving someone a large chunk and then forcing them to the bottom of the queue.

BitTorrent, Shareaza, and I believe Gnucleus goes a step further by SHARING unfinished downloads (and verifying even THEIR integrity) so file swarming can occur even if nobody has the completed file... just so long as there exists at least 1 'virtual copy' of the completed file distributed among all those connected.

Face it, in this regard, even the latest Kazaa Lite++ is hopelessly outdated.

BitTorrent is a special case program that is ONLY useful for getting specific files to lots of people who use a web link to that 1 file -- while trying to minimize the amount of bandwidth the 'server' needs. It's best for larger files like tv shows (which just came out maybe a day ago...) or movies -- where normal p2p programs are hopelessly inept due to file disconnections and long download times.

On the other hand, Shareaza and Gnucleus on the Gnutella network and Shareaza's special network for Shareaza are true p2p file sharing programs much like Kazaa. However their numbers are still small and network connectivity is hampered by EXTREMELY hostile attacks by RIAA/MPAA-sponsored companies and spammers. They're making incredible inroads in tracking, mitigating, and preventing these attacks and the network connectivity is rising. Plus, having somewhere between 100,000 and about 1 million users on the network isn't to be sneered at just because Kazaa's is larger. With better connectivity and partial file-sharing ability, average download speeds will be possibly a magnitude faster (10x faster) than on fasttrack.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    I agree. Good summary on the networks there. I like emule/donkey, but it seems so slow. but its ability to check files, and multisource so well is a plus. bittorrent really seems to be a great up and commer. Great speeds so far, and very good network code. Only problem with it i see so far, is keeping older files around, as its mainly geared for newer ones, and a really great, shareactore, fastrackverifieds/klite forums, key site to get torrents from. supernova is ok, but not the end all to be all yet.

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@27 April 2003 - 03:36
    Only problem with it i see so far, is keeping older files around, as its mainly geared for newer ones, and a really great, shareactore, fastrackverifieds/klite forums, key site to get torrents from. supernova is ok, but not the end all to be all yet.
    Very true. However IRC has taken a big step with the recent addition of spiders (IRCspy, myDownloader.com, packetnews.com) These spiders are giant indexes for IRC. Back in the days, everything was Fserves (small individual fileservers) and you never knew what channel/server had what. I used to spend days looking for stuff, then more time looking for available servers. Not anymore.

Clearly the direction in the p2p scene is incorporating Web Content with Filesharing Content. Sharereactor helps feed the emule community. This forum and others like it help the Kazaa community.

And of course, FC helps the Orange CD forum.
    Proud member of MDS

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345