Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: US government near to debt limit

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

What would be the sense?.....
    That's kinda the sense I had after reading your post, zap.

The development of alternatives will be driven by the capitalist imperative, nothing else.

As to the consumer and his demands, these are also nothing more than "pocketbook" issues, and they cannot be made into something else.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    My point is the US needs drastic changes now. The foremost is that our government lookout for the US public (the masses) takes priority. Business as usual should be tossed for the long term benefit of the masses. Part of this entails freedom from petroleum. Building an energy solution that is wholey contained on US soil is the best for the security & standard of living of our citizens. What I suggested in a previous post would only be a compromise.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    My point is the US needs drastic changes now. The foremost is that our government lookout for the US public (the masses) takes priority. Business as usual should be tossed for the long term benefit of the masses. Part of this entails freedom from petroleum. Building an energy solution that is wholey contained on US soil is the best for the security & standard of living of our citizens. What I suggested in a previous post would only be a compromise.
    Such "start-points" cannot be created artificially.

The market is the best indicator of the timeliness of any directional change.

What you propose is bad (1), because it would shock business and the economy unnecessarily and to ill-effect, and (2), because it would get the federal government involved, which is poison.

Google Nixon's "price-freeze".

That'll put the fear of God into you.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The open market will not develope alternate energy sources all the time oil is cheap. just as drug companies spend most of their research money on "profitable" research, governments invest in research in needed but not overly profitable cures. We all know that alternate energy is needed, if not today tomorrow and to be honest government funding worldwide, the research could be private, is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by j2
    because it would get the federal government involved, which is poison.
    THIS federal government I will agree with you. The right people in government and the playing field is altered.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Well I'm open to new ideas. Cause the well being of the masses depends upon something new. This country is slipping into a 3rd world country. And I'm pissed about it. No business as usual will stop this.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    . No business as usual will stop this.
    Yes it will.

Or, rather, it will happen absent government interference.

Autos replaced horse-drawn transportation over a relative few decades; that is to say, in about two generations...less than that, in fact.

It didn't happen because Teddy Roosevelt ordered it done.

Don't worry.

Or, go ahead and worry, and go nuts.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    If you mean the US government not pimping out the American people for big business, then I agree. The US government needs to act in the peoples interest not business. They are very much different since no loyalty or decency from big business exists or hardly exists anymore.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    If you mean the US government not pimping out the American people for big business, then I agree. The US government needs to act in the peoples interest not business. They are very much different since no loyalty or decency from big business exists or hardly exists anymore.
    Alright.

What exactly would you have the government do?

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    The government at this point I believe is honestly incapable of acting in the best interests of the American masses. What I would propose is too far reaching. But I don't see any return of a US citizens expectation that their prodigy have as good as life economically & socially as them without going to extremes. What I propose spit out all at once seems impossible or outrageous. But I think things have gotten so far out of whack in the last ~30 years. That if one can remember the freedoms & opportunities available to US citizens then. I mean really remember. And see how things are vastly eroded in comparison now. Does what what I'd like the US government to do seem reasonable.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    The government at this point I believe is honestly incapable of acting in the best interests of the American masses. What I would propose is too far reaching. But I don't see any return of a US citizens expectation that their prodigy have as good as life economically & socially as them without going to extremes. What I propose spit out all at once seems impossible or outrageous. But I think things have gotten so far out of whack in the last ~30 years. That if one can remember the freedoms & opportunities available to US citizens then. I mean really remember. And see how things are vastly eroded in comparison now. Does what what I'd like the US government to do seem reasonable.
    Um, perhaps you may wish to think back 30 years and see what exactly was going on. And about the 3rd world remark, perhaps you should move to a better place. Maybe the area you live in is going downhill. To be honest, me and everyone I know and interact with are living better and better year after year, and I have not doubt in my mind that my children will have it better than me. No doubt whatsoever. This is because I am taking a proactive approach to their futures instead of sitting back and teaching them to rely on the government to take care of them.

Perhaps changing jobs would help your situation out. Get a better job, if no necessary education, get it. Begin saving, investing and whatnot, you will notice a great increase in your living conditions. And no you can't use the excuse "why should I invest in big business when big business is the problem?", I have been doing pretty well investing and you know what? I have not put a penny in big business. There's money to be made in those small earth friendly companies.
    Last edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot; 03-13-2006 at 04:46 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast