Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here ever done an essay on ancient Egypt?

Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    i have used to have the 5 part series egypt which was shown on the bbc on my pc. i backed it up yesterday/

2. Lounge   -   #22
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    How about the effect of tourism due to ancient egypt in the eyes of muslim religion.

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Location, Location, Location

Whether the Nile, Euphrates, Tigris, Indus the common factor of the great early civilisations was a river which had an annual flood and was able to support agriculture to the point which freed labour to do other more interesting things.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #24
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Location, Location, Location

Whether the Nile, Euphrates, Tigris, Indus the common factor of the great early civilisations was a river which had an annual flood and was able to support agriculture to the point which freed labour to do other more interesting things.
    Or the Dee, you forgot the Dee.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    Ive decieded to simplify my topics to stuff thats more broad to make it easier for me. So far I have:

Agriculture-http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_461511156_4/Ancient_Egypt.html

-The runoff from the rainy season in the Ethiopian mountains flows down the Blue Nile and Atbara Rivers. This influx of water causes the Nile to rise, beginning in early June. By the end of July, the river becomes a mighty torrent, reaching its highest levels in late September to late October. The river then starts to subside, depositing the fine sediments creating the black Nile mud. Its annual cycle of flooding and the depositing of silt creates a new layer of topsoil each year. This topsoil is rich in organic nutrients and nitrogen.

-“Ancient Egypt’s economy was based on agriculture, and the rich bounty of its farmers depended on the Nile.’

- In addition, the river’s waters and marshes were a source of fish and fowl, important parts of the ancient Egyptians' diet. The fertile soil left by the Nile’s yearly receding floodwaters provided the means for growing a wide variety of grains, vegetables, and fruits. Two of the most important crops, emmer (a type of wheat) and barley, were used to make bread and beer, the staples of the diet. After the crops were harvested, the same fields served as grazing areas for herds of cattle, sheep, and other animals, which in turn served as sources of meat and dairy products.

- Farming the fields, tending livestock, hunting wildlife, and similar agrarian activities were the main duties of the majority of Egypt's lower classes. These people used simple tools, such as hoes, sickles, threshers, winnowing fans, forks, and baskets. Laborers tilled the soil by their own efforts or used plows drawn by cattle or oxen. In addition to this agrarian work, the Egyptians developed associated industries, such as beer and wine making, textile production, leather tanning, woodworking, pottery making, and baking. A portion of the crops and animal products that the farmers produced served as the raw materials for some of these industries. A portion of all the goods produced was used for bartering in the marketplace, as there was no monetary system. Taxes consumed a large share of the total production.
    Military-http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/economy/

-Military ventures can be a source of income - as long as one is successful. Egypt was fortunate in this respect until the Late Period, when it came under the domination of foreign powers. What began with relatively benign occupations by the Libyans, Kushites, Assyrians and Persians, became oppressive under the Roman Empire, which exploited its provinces ruthlessly. The attempts of Cleopatra VII to retain independence were unsuccessful and the country fell prey to Octavian. For as long as Rome ruled the Mediterranean, Egypt was little more than its bread basket.
    Bravery in battle was rewardedwith appointments, decorations in the form of golden necklaces and bracelets, and gifts of land and slaves, part of the booty plundered from vanquished enemies. Tribute was imposed on defeated nations and the 'exchange' of gifts between the pharaohs and the kings of client states was generally in Egypt's favour.
    Military-http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/economy/

I also want to talk about the actual location of egypt but I dont know how i could prove that made it sucessfull. I cant find any info, atleast besides in the textbook.

Im so tired, ive been working on this thing for like 4 hours now. Im very close to giving up.
    Last edited by Smith; 03-23-2006 at 02:21 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Canuk

You simply need to determine what made ancient civilisations successful. Location next to a major river that floods annually to give rich fertile silt is a common feature. The Nile has a very consistent flood so it enabled the Egyptians to build up good reserves which in turn led to a very stable society. Stable societies prosper and grow and consequenly led to the development of sophisticated religious and government organisations. These led to a strong military and civic works programme and hence what we call civilisation.

This can be seen again and again at similar sites such as the ones I mentioned above. Giving rise to the Indus valley civilisation, the Sumerians, The Babylonians and of course, as JP said, the Picts on the river Dee

Is that enough of a pointer?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #27
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Boats is another thing, for the supply of the fish and the travelling to trade. To say nothing of the fighting and the conquering.

However if you live by the sea you just become a viking, with the raping and the pillaging. Bloody Scandinavians.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Smith's Avatar Since 1989.. BT Rep: +1
    After getting some sleep, and talking to my teacher I have finally gotten my head in the right state of mind.

I have finalized my thesis statement and now I'm going to start my essay.

When you think of Egypt, you think of the Great Pyramids, Hieroglyphs and the Nile. Ancient Egypt was arguably the most influential society in the ancient world. They invented the calendar, the medical profession and had skilled trades. For a civilization that lived thousands of years ago, they had a lot going for them. What made them so great? This can’t be answered with one thing, there were many reasons why.. The environment Egypt existed in was perfect for civilization. In the middle of the desert, it made it extremely hard for surrounding countries to invade it. It was also on the Nile River which was the backbone of Egypt’s economy. Every year it would flood leaving the land very fertile and easy to farm. Egypt had mining, farming and trade. These things lead to surpluses of food and greater wealth Agriculture was Egypt’s strong point; they farmed massive amounts of wheat and barley. Agriculture is what made Egypt so strong. They were able to trade off there surplus of food for other goods. Religion was also a very big thing in ancient Egypt. The Pharaoh was not only the supreme leader, but also the religious leader and god. Religion gave people jobs and kept society going. The people of Egypt worked even harder because if they disobey the king, they are also disobeying god. Egypt was successful because of religion, agriculture and its geographical location.
    Kinda asking you guys to spell check...manker?

Agriculture:covers food, nile, surpluses, feding the army
    religion: pharaohs, people being scared of god>working harder>how it kept the society going.
    Last edited by Smith; 03-23-2006 at 09:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123