Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best firewall?

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I've used @Guard, ZoneAlarm, Norton/Symantec, Tiny, Sygate and Outpost; I found they all worked fine - excepting ZA v5.0, but they fixed that.
    @Guard and Sygate are now Norton/Symantec and Tiny don't offer a free version now.

I use Outpost v3.5 now and it seems to be doing a great job; it detects a lost of ad/spyware and it's blocking facilties are terrific.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    I like Zone Alarm, except I've read that it can be bypassed by people who know what they're doing. I've been told Windows XP firewall is safer in this sense

I still use it though, good spyware and hard drive cleaner options as well as other privacy controls that no other firewall I've seen has

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    sygate is the best
    Open your mind

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    When I used a firewall, I found ZoneAlarm to be very good.

but now I just rely on my router. Have done so for a year or 2 now and no security problems of any kind have occured

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I used to use Norton Firewall, my computer didn't moves at all

moved to ZAP, got no trouble with it.

so I use ZAP with Peer Guardian 2, do the job for me

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiteful
    I like Zone Alarm, except I've read that it can be bypassed by people who know what they're doing. I've been told Windows XP firewall is safer in this sense

I still use it though, good spyware and hard drive cleaner options as well as other privacy controls that no other firewall I've seen has
    Almost anything can be bypassed if you know what you are doing.. And from what I read, Windows XP firewall doesnt really help you.. Id rather use some third party firewall (like the ones mentioned by me above).
    blah blah blah... whatever...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    ZoneAlarm is pretty good, because it tells you about attempted outbound connections as well as incoming ones, but if you're really worried get a hardware firewall, not a software one.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    ZoneAlarm is pretty good, because it tells you about attempted outbound connections as well as incoming ones...
    Any software firewall worth its salt will do that.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    The windows XP firewall doesn't.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    It's not worth diddly then.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast