Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Music

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by summerlinda+28 April 2003 - 19:01--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (summerlinda @ 28 April 2003 - 19:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--clocker@29 April 2003 - 01:05
    Okay pirates, here&#39;s a question...
    Step right up...
    And how about you Clocker? [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;ll continue to rip for free, of course.

But I&#39;ve never tried to disguise my piracy as anything else, either. Certainly not as a valid consumer response to "overpriced" music (or movies).

Magic, where are you getting your blank CDs? I just got 100 for &#036;9.99 (US).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Music   -   #12
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 21:06
    I&#39;d consider paying &#036;5 for a CD. &#036;10 if the whole album is super-good.

C&#39;mon man, get real. You can&#39;t even get cassettes for &#036;5. Still stuck in the 80s eh?
    Proud member of MDS

3. Music   -   #13
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Magic I think thats a fair price for a downloaded album.
    &#036;1 a song is pretty much equal to or more what you pay in the store, but they have hardly any the overheads of a retail outlet, and have none of the physical costs of the CD as well as artwork etc. They really should be a fair bit cheaper than that.

But from what I&#39;ve read, this seems to be the best attempt so far in this direction and I actually wish them success.

4. Music   -   #14
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, I wish I could get 100 cds for &#036;10. But 100 cds cost &#036;85+ with tax here. :/

Staples, which is the only place in this town to get that kind of thing. There&#39;s privately owned computer shops, but they charge &#036;5/blank.

Honestly, most CDs aren&#39;t worth the material they&#39;re printed on. So really, it&#39;s a fair price. When they start to put more than one half-decent song on a 12-15 song disc, I&#39;ll consider it.

&#036;1 a song (&#036;1.45 for me) ends up costing a fair bit more than a CD. I can get albums cheaper than what it would cost me to download it.

Obviously, people like clocker who get 100 cds for &#036;10, or other people who don&#39;t have to drive 45 minutes to pick up a blank cd, or people in places that have more than one place to get blank CDs are going to find it cheaper. I won&#39;t.

But I&#39;m an anomaly anyway.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Music   -   #15
    jetje's Avatar former star
    Originally posted by Jibbler+29 April 2003 - 02:47--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 29 April 2003 - 02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 20:41
    I won&#39;t pay &#036;1 for a song. It&#39;d add up far too quickly. If CDs were cheaper, I&#39;d buy them.
    Interesting thoughts, though I don&#39;t understand your logic. In the past, you had to buy a full CD, now you can have just the songs you want. Thus the full CD is cheaper, because you only get the songs you want. I&#39;ll keep ripping and sharing until they provide me with a realistic model for music downloads. This is definitely a step in the right direction for the industry. [/b][/quote]
    I like the full cd&#39;s, a lot of bands have a kinda concept in their album. So if you take out one song it&#39;s not much but together it&#39;s a great album.
    &#036; 0,99 is way to much.it would mean about &#036;15,- for a full album.... as someone stated; for that amount i would like to have the booklets etc...(you can buy the original).

Still buying a lot of cd&#39;s and Music/movie dvd&#39;s for real.. But think prizes are outrageous (between €15 to €35 for a new cd/dvd).

topic moved to musicworld...

6. Music   -   #16
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    >>>Apple has come to an agreement with several music companies to offer music online for legal download at about &#036;.99/ song.>>>

Is there a receipt if you buy them ? I mean, it your hard drive dies on you with all your songs you purchased, would there be a way you could redownload them to your new system ?

I still think 99 cents is too much for a song. I buy a lot of trance and techno cds and they often have 16-18 songs on each cd. So that makes it more expensive than waiting for a cd store sale. I also got a stack of 100 cdrs at the Fred Meyer store here in Seattle for 20 bucks a year ago. I have only burned about 25 cdrs so far. Half of them were for backing up my 3 computers. That said, the music industry should fit more songs on each cd as they will fit for sure. or they could add lyrics and photos and even videos on the cd like Sarah MacLaughlin did with her cd. Also Cirque de Soleil did one also. MP3 .com also did the DAM cds with like two photos and a pc player on each cd as well. The music industry really dropped the ball in doing anything hi -tech. I mean they could have sold cdrs with 100 mp3s on them or wma cdrs too. Or even oog which is a free file format. People could have been ordering them on the web and delivered to their doors. But noooooo the music industry sat on their hands while Sony realized the money to be made and sold cd burners &#33; Music corporations used to be making so much money off of me when my cassettes would warp and break and I would have to buy the same damn cassette over again. I have 100s of cassettes and 100s of albums, most bought at full price because I loved the artists. But now it seems that most of the money did not go to the artist. Anyway, now I go to the stores and there is no trance or techno section. There is sometimes a dance section but there is usually on one or two trance or techno cds in there. I check there sometimes because you never know when the store might hire someone who actually knows music. All they know is top 40. Occasionally at xmas I&#39;ll do a phone order at an independent cd store across town, because they have a wider variety. The last nail on the coffin was when I was accosted by this mainstream cd store chain guy and he talked me into joining a cd club and I got 10% coupons off cds in the mail from time to time and a magazine to boot. it was fine until I drove down to the closest mall to me and the store was gone &#33; Apparently two cd stores in that mall were too much, so they took one out. The other cd store did not have a cd club to join.

Anyway, until they get their act together and maybe hire some people with computer experience ??? I&#39;ll P2P, and call RIAA a red herring. *smile

ciao,

geothermal78

7. Music   -   #17
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    Originally posted by clocker@29 April 2003 - 01:05
    Okay pirates, here&#39;s a question...

I read in my paper today (The Denver Post) that Apple has come to an agreement with several music companies to offer music online for legal download at about &#036;.99/ song. About &#036;.60 of this would go to the music company and the artist (presumably). Although the first iteration will be for Mac users only, they plan on rolling out a Windows- based version shortly (duh&#33.

Since many posts in this section of the forum proclaim the sentiment "CDs cost too much&#33; If they&#39;d lower the price I&#39;d buy it&#33;", the question is...

How many of you are willing to pay &#036;.99 for a legal copy of a song that you can get for free right here?

Step right up...
    im sure my isp is doing this for £1. blueyonder uk.

8. Music   -   #18
    Their A Simple Solution To all Of this, You Buy The Cd&#39;s Of The artists you like, and you rip the other stuff you find listable or ok. Whats the point of paying £10-14 for an album you&#39;ll listen to for a couple of week&#39;s till you tire of it or it simple isnt &#39;cool&#39; no more. This way you support the artists and music you like and not the Fads and trendy stuff at the time, its about time the industry realised that one song aint gonna make you rich, their like children spitting their dummy cause the moneys dried up (eg MADDONA). Also Kazza and other programs offers stuff unavailable on the hight street such as live shows and unreleased tracks, which actualy help the artist concerned and their credibility. People often complain about the cons of piracy when their are also many pro&#39;s in favour of the artist, were not all MASS pirates.

9. Music   -   #19
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    There is already a way to download legaly, its called WebListen, its Spanish. They sell legal mp3 & wma since 1998. I dont know their collection but from what i hear its pretty good [Not for you Magic Nakor ]

You buy the &#39;right&#39; to download for a certain period of time, [1 night, 1 weekend, 1, 2, 3 or 6 monthts] read all about at above url... You are never obligated to prolong your account.

1 night costs 3 dollar
    1 weekend cost 12 dollar etc etc.......

I never tried it, but have been reading about it a lot. Any one ever tried this?

A link for the Dutch: WebListen

10. Music   -   #20
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I wouldnt pay it, if I pay for a cd I want at least the cover, case and the original cd.

But that doesnt mean that I dont pay for music at all, I often buy CDs in stores. B)

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast