Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Music

Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Yeah, I think $1 per song is ok, but you should be able to get full CD for less, maybe $10. They need to work on the model a bit, but I still say it can work. I'm sure there will be another round of piracy before any of this starts changing the industry.
    Proud member of MDS

2. Music   -   #22
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It's all crap crap crap!
    While the Apple solution is admirable it's a day late and a dollar short..
    Due to the wide use of file sharing networks it's impossible to go back. This is more than true for the younger demographic(ages 18-35).
    We "traders" (4 million+ strong&#33 have become too accustom to the mp3 format and the hardware it is compatible with.

Now, Apple is giving us another audio format! The ACC format has DRM built-in. There is a heavy discussion on this topic at the Slashdot site. Interesting reading for power users.

With this new format, you can put your downloaded [and use]songs on up to 3 computers and those computers must be registered with Apple(sounds alot like a Micro$soft scheme). You must unregister a computer before registering any new computer you buy. You can burn that music to as many CDs as you want though the ACC format isn't compatible with any portables except the iPod.

WTF? So you have to burn the ACC files to a CD and then rip the CD to the mp3 format. What a waste of my time!

Frankly, the content being offered by the large labels just plain sucks. Probably 1 of the last 20 CDs I've bought had more than 2 or 3 songs I liked.

And finally, on a personal note, I miss the good old days where you got a full size album that gave you the pleasure of full size art and liner-notes to enjoy and read while listening.

Phew! That's my $.02 worth!

3. Music   -   #23
    Originally posted by Jibbler+29 April 2003 - 01:47--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jibbler @ 29 April 2003 - 01:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--MagicNakor@28 April 2003 - 20:41
    I won&#39;t pay &#036;1 for a song. It&#39;d add up far too quickly. If CDs were cheaper, I&#39;d buy them.
    Interesting thoughts, though I don&#39;t understand your logic. In the past, you had to buy a full CD, now you can have just the songs you want. Thus the full CD is cheaper, because you only get the songs you want. [/b][/quote]
    Your Twisted (hehe).

4. Music   -   #24
    I heard there was a site charging .99 a while back and they dropped their fee to .49 and still were going nowhere fast, as FREE is still cheaper. Again, free sells, and if you can sell free you get rich.

No one here is buyin&#39; jack s**t at any price, your all broke down "file sharing guys" (myself included).

By the way I forgot what the inside of a record store lOOks like, or a blockbuter for that matter.
    S**t I&#39;m gettin&#39; tears thinkin&#39; &#39;bout my youth.

5. Music   -   #25
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Time for me to jump in again...

The general consensus seems to be that &#036;.99 is still too much for a song. The format is clunky and in general this service will not appeal to the users of the FastTrack network.

Which is pretty much what I expected when I first posted the topic.
    I&#39;m wondering whether this whole project is designed to fail. Big rollout, unprecedented industry cooperation ( why, even REM is going to participate goody,goody&#33;), lots of media coverage and YAWN, the whole thing flops in six months.
    Then the RIAA can go to Congress and say "Well, we tried, we gave &#39;em a chance to play legally and still they insist on stealing our product. We need help and these are the laws we&#39;d like to see passed * kiss your privacy and fair use protections goodbye here*".

Am I being overly paranoid or what?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Music   -   #26
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I will never pay to download songs. I do however still buy CDs, but if I decide to spend money on the CD, I want at least the case & artwork.
    I won&#39;t pay just that I&#39;m allowed to download it and burn it afterward myself on a shitty looking CDR.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

7. Music   -   #27
    It would be great to dl good quality mp3&#39;s no fakes ,no pops, no half songs

8. Music   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker@30 April 2003 - 12:37
    I&#39;m wondering whether this whole project is designed to fail. Big rollout, unprecedented industry cooperation ( why, even REM is going to participate goody,goody&#33;), lots of media coverage and YAWN, the whole thing flops in six months.
    Then the RIAA can go to Congress and say "Well, we tried, we gave &#39;em a chance to play legally and still they insist on stealing our product. We need help and these are the laws we&#39;d like to see passed * kiss your privacy and fair use protections goodbye here*".

Am I being overly paranoid or what?
    On the "Money" Sir, I see it coming already&#33;&#33;

F**K us all.

9. Music   -   #29
    Twist3r
    I will never pay for music they cant make me&#33;&#33;&#33;

10. Music   -   #30
    Poster
    agree with jetje.

Furthermore it is disingenous of Steve Job to proclaim that is 99c, thats "doggone pretty close to free" or something to that effect. What as percentage of &#036;1.00 is 99%???

I am no maths graduate but......

Is it true that kazaa is renowned for trading smut more than music??????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast