Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Processor Overheating

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    M|k0r, That material is like melted plastic by now. It's not the same as thermal grease. AMD comes with it. I thinks it's called phase changing material. Thats as far as my knowledge goes on the subject. GL

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    thats probly the problem there the fans that come with the cpus are cheap go get a good one with a good copper heatsink

btw u did plug it in right? lol of corse u did u wouldnt forget that ....right?

also if u pluged in in backwords it wont work right it will be blowing in the wrong direction
    it should be blowin away from the cpu not tward it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by QuietSilence!@1 May 2003 - 21:24
    it should be blowin away from the  cpu not tward it
    ^^^^ I think that information is wrong.

Every PC I have worked on has the fan blowing towards the heatsink.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    are u sure spreaded the thermal paste well enough, to make a full contact, and are u sure the heatsink is making full contact with the processor via the paste?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Yea positive. I followed the instructions AMD gave me. It has abt a 1cmx1cm square of this thermal heat paste stuff and its all installed correctly...

So do u think i should get more thermal paste and see if that works? Or just buy sum huge Heatsink and fan?

Can u direct me to any good/cheap heatsink and fans that go with my processor. (Athlon XP 2400+)

Cheers guys u have helped a lot.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    IMO if it came from AMD it's NOT thermal paste or grease. And it's one use only. So if you take off the HS you're going to need another thermal solution (i.e. Artic Silver 3). And this is the part I don't know much about, you gonna have clean off that pre-installed (PCM?) shit first. As stated in a previous post, are those temps in C or F? The C or F question is foremost though.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    A long time ago, I had a new motherboard with an AMD CPU on it. Well, I tried to remove the chip and broke the plastic on the motherboard. Now that clamp doesn't hold the heatsink anymore.

So I used J-B Weld expoy and permantly glued the heat sink onto the chip. It worked without over heating.

I had no choice, but to use the expoy, (or buy another motherboard).

I don't recommend using expoy, when you do not need to.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    in addition to the advice that people have already given...

you may want to check the connections and make sure you've plugged the CPU fan into the correct fan header on the motherboard. read the markings on the board and make sure that it says it's for the CPU fan, just in case you've misread the owner's manual (or it has an error in the diagrams).

it's a fairly easy mistake to make, and it could cause the CPU to overheat because the case fan connectors often don't supply enough electricity for a CPU fan to spin at the correct RPM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@2 May 2003 - 07:19
    in addition to the advice that people have already given...

you may want to check the connections and make sure you've plugged the CPU fan into the correct fan header on the motherboard.  read the markings on the board and make sure that it says it's for the CPU fan, just in case you've misread the owner's manual (or it has an error in the diagrams).

it's a fairly easy mistake to make, and it could cause the CPU to overheat because the case fan connectors often don't supply enough electricity for a CPU fan to spin at the correct RPM.
    On that note..if you tweaked around the Bios settings make sure you have the correct cpu voltage setting as well..........refer to manual to see correct voltage and verify that you have it set correctly. If all setting are correct, just purchase thermal paste and apply and perhaps just a larger fan.....just don't over apply the paste, use a small amount but insure the entire cpu area is covered with thin layer. Paste is basically used to fill in any small gaps between the cpu and heatsink, too much and you will not make proper contact........
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    So what are good sorts of fans/heatsinks 2 use?

As stated in a previous post, are those temps in C or F? The C or F question is foremost though.
    Those temps were in degrees C.

Also where can i get thermal paste/grease from and what are good sorts to get?
    How much paste should i apply? Enough to cover the whole chip or just the bit in the middle?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast