Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Processor Overheating

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    If some of the experts on this subject could speak up (I'm NOT one). Is he going to have remove (& how) that PCM before applying thermal grease (artic silver 3)? I'd try just cleaning the PCM away & applying AS3 before buying another HSF. If that isn't sufficient I'd get a Thermaltake volcano 7 HSF (if your MB & case support it) for about $15 USD.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    yeah, you're gonna have to remove the pcm.
    make sure you remove it all before applying paste
    i assume you're in the uk from your avatar, so try going to dabs (if you have a credit card, or ebuyer (if you don't)
    look for arctic silver 3 as this is the best paste. if you can't find it here, just go to pc world, it's about 4 quid or ss
    look on the sites for a full copper socket a heatsink and fan
    also, look for an 80mm fan if possible, with a high cfm value

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    So what are good sorts of fans/heatsinks 2 use?
    Thermaltake and Volcano are good, again all copper fin heatsink would be best. Perhap you will have luck just changing the heatsink (to all copper)??

Also where can i get thermal paste/grease from and what are good sorts to get?
    Artic Silver would be a good brand/type to use - run a search on google.com or check your local pc supply store.

How much paste should i apply? Enough to cover the whole chip or just the bit in the middle?
    Put just the paste on the center, not compete cpu. Some apply it evenly over the whole center, others as well as myself apply a small botch in the center and allow the heatsink to spread it when it gets placed over the cpu.

Remember the paste is to help make complete contact between the cpu and heatsink and eliminates any tiny air pockets or gaps between them.......................
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by zapjb@2 May 2003 - 10:48
    If some of the experts on this subject could speak up (I'm NOT one). Is he going to have remove (& how) that PCM before applying thermal grease (artic silver 3)?
    I razor blade has a fine edge and should be most useful for this because of the small cpu dye size center.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Cheers guys :beerchug:

you have helped a lot. Gonna go buy a big heatsink and large fan with sum of that thermal paste now.

Hope it works

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123