Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mouse Light Stays On After Shutdown

suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien
    I don't think its the motherboard, rather the mouse. I have had a Logitec optical that stayed on all the time but if I put a different optical on (microsoft or another type of logitec) it wasn't a problem. It has to be a separate led thats hooked to the constant power of the mouse. Some one in engineering said "wouldn't it be nice if the user could see the mouse in the dark to start the computer?) viola, there you go. Inorder for mouse movement to start a computer (same as a key on the keyboard) the infared light has to be on all the time. Since infared is not visible to the naked eye, an led is also added for your eyes sake so when you lift your optical mouse when the computer is on you see an led not the infared. Therefore all mice are on all the time but its the maunufacturer that decides whether or not to hook an led to the constant power or the PC on power of the mouse connections. So when your PC is off the infared of the mouse is on but not visable and the mouse appears to be off only because the maker decided not to have the led on as well.
    lol...its not the mouse

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by suprafreak6
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I just checked the specs of the GA-K8N-SLI. I don't see Dual BIOS "advertised". Where did you see that?
    on the box...
    The box has GIGABYTE Unique Features on the back. It doesn't mean that that specific board has all those features. It's just advertising for their product line.

Always look at the specifications to know what you're getting.

It also says:
    * Not all models support the features above.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 07-24-2006 at 05:40 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    oh...o well doesnt really matter to me

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    lynx's Avatar .
    I don't think its the motherboard, rather the mouse. I have had a Logitec optical that stayed on all the time but if I put a different optical on (microsoft or another type of logitec) it wasn't a problem. It has to be a separate led thats hooked to the constant power of the mouse. Some one in engineering said "wouldn't it be nice if the user could see the mouse in the dark to start the computer?) viola, there you go. Inorder for mouse movement to start a computer (same as a key on the keyboard) the infared light has to be on all the time. Since infared is not visible to the naked eye, an led is also added for your eyes sake so when you lift your optical mouse when the computer is on you see an led not the infared. Therefore all mice are on all the time but its the maunufacturer that decides whether or not to hook an led to the constant power or the PC on power of the mouse connections. So when your PC is off the infared of the mouse is on but not visable and the mouse appears to be off only because the maker decided not to have the led on as well.
    That's great.

How come thay haven't patented this system for generating light without power?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    There is always power to the mouse and keyboard, otherwise the keyboards power on key would not work and the same goes for the mouse. I can enable a setting in my bios that if I move the mouse the computer starts, that means the infared sensor is on to detect movement and there is power to the mouse. Come on guys, this is not rocket science. When the motherboard manufacturers decided to expand the power on possibilities of the board the mouse and keyboard makers implemented changes to take advantage of the them, even a ball mouse will start the computer when moved if you select that option in the bios, how do you think that would be possible if the mouse didn't have power when the computer is off. And if some engineer either makes a mistake or decides to purposely hook an led to the always on power you have a mouse that stays lit when the computer is off.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 07-25-2006 at 02:43 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    lynx's Avatar .
    There is always power to the mouse and keyboard, otherwise the keyboards power on key would not work and the same goes for the mouse. I can enable a setting in my bios that if I move the mouse the computer starts, that means the infared sensor is on to detect movement and there is power to the mouse. Come on guys, this is not rocket science. When the motherboard manufacturers decided to expand the power on possibilities of the board the mouse and keyboard makers implemented changes to take advantage of the them, even a ball mouse will start the computer when moved if you select that option in the bios, how do you think that would be possible if the mouse didn't have power when the computer is off. And if some engineer either makes a mistake or decides to purposely hook an led to the always on power you have a mouse that stays lit when the computer is off.
    Not on my systems, I have the option of supplying power to the keyboard, mouse, and USB devices. I choose not to, and that's quite rightly the default. You should only supply power to devices which you need when the system is in standby, anyone who gratuitously supplies power in other circumstances is risking overload of the standby power. It may be only a small part of your PSU, but if you blow it the rest is worthless. Having found out that it isn't an option on gigabyte boards, they just got crossed off my list of potential buys.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234