Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Embyonic stem cell research

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    And I don't recall ever waking up one day and thinking "Hmm, I think today I'll be gay/straight."

One could argue that sexuality might be fluid, and that no one is 100% straight or gay, genetically or hormonally. Sexuality might be more like a spectrum of preferences where each of us prioritize different features in others.

If so, hetero-/and homosexuality might be part choice (conscious or unconcious), and in part dictated by what is more and less accepted/taboo in our own societies.

Having said that....Gay scientists from the USA?

Last I saw the same sort of ideas about people being homosexual not by choice, have surfaced in every country in the world that isn't an oppressive dictatorship or run by religious nutters.

I wonder where brother lime is from.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Just because some gay scientists said it soo doesn't mean they are right. To be gay has nothing to do with genetics, its more like what you choose in your head. Like you can't be fat if you don't eat. Such things like: born fat or born gay you only hear from scientists from usa.
    There are people genetically predisposed to be being fat.

That's a physical characteristic unlike gayetty.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

That's a physical characteristic unlike gayetty.
    What about the limp wrists and the mincing?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Did you seriously compare homosexuality to pedophila?

And I don't recall ever waking up one day and thinking "Hmm, I think today I'll be gay/straight."

Pedophiliacks don't choose to like children either.

I doubt they woke up one day and thought, "I think today I'm going to like butt-fucking kids."

Where the choice come in is action.

I doubt gays choose it or are born that way.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    There's an entire world of difference between molesting children and the relationship between two consenting adults.

I'm drunk and done. There's no point.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Fat people can lose weight and thats enough of prove that it ain't genetical. You can't be gay from birth if you have women and another month men or you don't know. A child doesn't even know what sex is until he sees it in some magazine or on tv or parents tell him. Even the most popular gays like Freddie Mercury & George Michael had women. What gays are doing is that they say that they don't know what they like to have, or women or men. I don't see any different sexuality if you choose another hole. Lets make bestiality, pedofilia, shoe licking, scat eating and all other fetishes also genetical than.
    Who told women or men to dress like they do, parents did, tradition, trends and not gens. Try to give your baby away to some animals and you will see it behave like an animal.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    There's an entire world of difference between molesting children and the relationship between two consenting adults.

I'm drunk and done. There's no point.

Well my statement wasn't made to bring forth a high-horse response.

My point is that neither is something you born with nor choose.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    Fat people can lose weight and thats enough of prove that it ain't genetical.
    You can get your clitoris circumcised, breasts enlarged, and get liposuction. What you said proves nothing.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Actually that's an interesting side issue. How often is one identical twin gay and the other not.
    top answer on google was:

Bailey and Pillard recruited 110 pairs of male twins, half identical, half fraternal. In each case, they knew that one twin was gay. They then sent a questionnaire to the other brother in each pair, to determine his sexual orientation. Among the identical twins, 52 percent of the brothers were gay. Among the fraternals, the number was 22 percent, high enough above the background population rate to suggest that there was something distinctive in those families. The researchers found a very similar pattern with lesbians.

52% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual men were likewise homosexual
    22% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual
    11% of adoptive brothers of homosexual men were likewise homosexual

J.M. Bailey and R.C. Pillard, “A genetic study of male sexual orientation,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 48:1089-1096, December 1991.
    Bailey and Pillard (1993): occurrence of homosexuality among sisters
    48% of identical (monozygotic) twins of homosexual women were likewise homosexual (lesbian)
    16% of fraternal (dizygotic) twins were likewise homosexual
    6% of adoptive sisters of homosexual women were likewise homosexual

Bailey, J. M. and D. S. Benishay (1993), “Familial Aggregation of Female Sexual Orientation,” American Journal of Psychiatry 150(2): 272-277.
    Other studies found lower correlations, but the same pattern & conclusions, i.e. closest correlation for homosexuality in siblings goes: identical twin then fraternal twin then non twin.

Edit: Snny, identical twins are clones ^_^ just not manmade ones
    Last edited by ilw; 08-30-2006 at 05:21 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Are they really clones, by definition, when they've developed simultaneously, rather than had their genetic material harvested from a grown, or at least older individual, albeit that they both initially came from the same cell?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast