Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bush to be assassinated on Channel 4

GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Channel Four's "The Death of a President" mixes archive footage and computer-generated imagery to give a chillingly realistic representation of an actual killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    The 90-minute film shows Mr Bush being targeted by a sniper during anti-war rally in Chicago in 2007.

well, unless you can easily convince yourself you've been in a coma for a year, it's obviously hypothetical. presuming i understand that word

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bbc
    The 90-minute film shows Mr Bush being targeted by a sniper during anti-war rally in Chicago in 2007.

well, unless you can easily convince yourself you've been in a coma for a year, it's obviously hypothetical. presuming i understand that word
    Do you understand the word "obvious" as well?

We can continue this in another vein if you like.

Tell me, as comprehensively as you can, what you think my concerns with this film actually are.

For instance:

Do you imagine me to be offended?

Take it from there...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Tell me, as comprehensively as you can, what you think my concerns with this film actually are.

For instance:

Take it from there...
    i don't know if you're offended. don't really care to be honest.

i presumed "My curiosity is piqued by not only the pseudo-alternate reality of the tack the producers have taken, but that they feel an actor with a resemblance (enhanced by the latest movie-makeup techniques), playing the part of Bush is somehow not enough to create the "necessary" impression-they must super-impose Bush's actual face on the actor."

...meant you were slightly disturbed by the effort they've gone to, to simulate the president. i was just saying it'd be much easier to follow the show if the character looks exactly the same as bush. particularly if the show constantly switches between newsreel and acted out stuff.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24

For instance:

Take it from there...

i presumed "My curiosity is piqued by not only the pseudo-alternate reality of the tack the producers have taken, but that they feel an actor with a resemblance (enhanced by the latest movie-makeup techniques), playing the part of Bush is somehow not enough to create the "necessary" impression-they must super-impose Bush's actual face on the actor."

...meant you were slightly disturbed by the effort they've gone to, to simulate the president. i was just saying it'd be much easier to follow the show if the character looks exactly the same as bush. particularly if the show constantly switches between newsreel and acted out stuff.

Ah.

So you've chosen to predicate your point on a big, fat, "IF".

'Tis precisely why I would demur until it has run and been viewed by those who can adequately gauge it's intent/effect.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

Ah.

'Tis precisely why I would demur until it has run and been viewed by those who can adequately gauge it's intent/effect.
    To be fair it was you who started the topic and as such presumably wanted people's opinions. To now say that it would be best to watch it, prior to expressing an opinion, seems a bit of a strange position to take. Or have I picked you up wrong.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post

Ah.

To be fair it was you who started the topic and as such presumably wanted people's opinions. To now say that it would be best to watch it, prior to expressing an opinion, seems a bit of a strange position to take. Or have I picked you up wrong.
    You didn't take me wrong.

Discussion has been somewhat limited, and perhaps I was premature into the bargain.

Speculation goes only so far, and actually reverses itself when attempted by The.

We can plug along, but there may be more to talk about afterward.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent

Discussion has been somewhat limited, and perhaps I was premature into the bargain.

Speculation goes only so far, and actually reverses itself when attempted by The.

Unless you have access to channel 4 it would appear you will be none the wiser after it has been shown here. Would you like me to keep an eye out for a torrent to allow you to download the prog.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28

Unless you have access to channel 4 it would appear you will be none the wiser after it has been shown here. Would you like me to keep an eye out for a torrent to allow you to download the prog.
    I appreciate the offer, but I can't for the life of me determine how viewing it would alter my preconception, which admittedly has only to do with the sensationalistic aspects advertised.

I don't believe I'd have any interest in it absent the obvious intent of the producers, which seems to be, "What if George Bush were assassinated", rather than, "What if, given the current state of world affairs, the American president were assassinated".

My interest extended to what someone such as yourself thinks of it.

I already know what I think; seeing it wouldn't change my mind.

I can imagine no context for utilizing his image as they apparently have.

Again, I appreciate the offer.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    I'm not really understanding your apparent offence.

Channel 4 are making a documentary about a hypothetical situation where POTUS is assasinated. It happens to be Mr Bush just now. They are using the most up to date technology they can to make the person playing the part seem as like him as possible.

Surely that makes sense.

Or are you suggesting that, were it someone other than Mr Bush then they would not use the same technology. If you think they are being sensatonalist then surely they would do the same whoever they were portraying.

The one comment which concerns me is your claim that watching the programme would not change your impressions. How so, surely watching it would give you a better idea of the maker's intent.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    I'm not really understanding your apparent offence.

Channel 4 are making a documentary about a hypothetical situation where POTUS is assasinated. It happens to be Mr Bush just now. They are using the most up to date technology they can to make the person playing the part seem as like him as possible.

Surely that makes sense.

Or are you suggesting that, were it someone other than Mr Bush then they would not use the same technology. If you think they are being sensatonalist then surely they would do the same whoever they were portraying.

The one comment which concerns me is your claim that watching the programme would not change your impressions. How so, surely watching it would give you a better idea of the maker's intent.

There have been several shows of this type, involving such as Lincoln and JFK that I have seen here or there.

As to the question of the maker's intent:

I'm sure, at bottom his intent is to tell a realistic story he/she/whomever has authored.

That in and of itself is in no way extraordinary, as I'm sure you'd agree.

That it's subject is the assassination of POTUS is of little significance.

Even that POTUS is George Bush is of no special moment.

However, if in this case heretofore accepted movie-making technique and sleight-of-hand is deemed to fall short of the desired mark, and, in order that the film's maker take advantage of every available option in order to attain his requirement, he has chosen this method, which brings us full circle.

Is it beyond your imagination the consideration given to realism in case is so painstakingly given because the subject is George Bush?

I note here my recollection of historical figures reproduced interactively in the movie Forrest Gump about 11 years ago, and several times several commercial advertisements in the interim; the gimmickry is not new at all though I'm sure the technology has advanced.

As I said, I am only curious as to what others think; quite curious, actually.

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast