Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Are Our Rights?

That's only one cd though, which you bought from them.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by echidna@7 May 2003 - 01:19
    does anyone know what the situation is outside of the USA?
    how come copyright holders never freaked out like this about people making copies on audio tape, everyone used to do that in the days of vinyl and car tape decks.
    also the use of VCRs to record TV shows
    is it just because they have at least some chance of catching people now because they're organising via [tracable] IPs?
    also the emphasis seems to be on music and motion pictures, like a DVD is always going to be < &#036;100US while macromedia studio MX is about &#036; 800US&#33; what is that about? aren&#39;t more expensive files more important to protect? [i think that the software companies know that they would not have experienced users for the products without pirate versions for people to learn on]
    They did.....

They went to the courts and got a settlement; in that part of what you pay for blank tapes goes to them in most countries.

In other countries (eg UK) they lost against the manufacturers....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    They went to the courts and got a settlement; in that part of what you pay for blank tapes goes to them in most countries.
    I see. So to get even more money, all I need to do is start a movie company and I&#39;ll get money in the mail each month w/o doing any work? Will do that&#33;

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by random nut@7 May 2003 - 16:38
    I see. So to get even more money, all I need to do is start a movie company and I&#39;ll get money in the mail each month w/o doing any work? Will do that&#33;
    The subscription rates to Join the &#39;Association&#39; is probably very steep, so will the amount you get in kick back actually cover the costs of &#39;belonging&#39; in the right &#39;club&#39;?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+7 May 2003 - 17:25--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 7 May 2003 - 17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--echidna@7 May 2003 - 01:19
    does
    how come copyright holders never freaked out like this about people making copies on audio tape, everyone used to do that in the days of vinyl and car tape decks.
    also the use of VCRs to record TV shows
    They did.....

In other countries (eg UK) they lost against the manufacturers.... [/b][/quote]
    Didn&#39;t they f**k sony on their CDR&#39;s as well, which they now get a peice of every CDR sold, even if used only for data.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12