Page 453 of 462 FirstFirst ... 353403443450451452453454455456 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 4614

Thread: What is the latest movie you watched and what did you think of it?

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    I did do some entry-level reading on Swearengen (Is that not a perfect name for such a character???), and he was a true bastard. One of his many highlights included placing women who took far-from-home jobs as "waitresses" into PERMANENT prostitution positions. But, Al, I doooon't like thiiiis job.
    On top of that, he would beat and threaten them into those positions. What's even more interesting is how the real Swearengen met his end. Maybe save that for some reading up after you finish the series (general recommendation).

Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Alright. I just saw EB give his "blood on the floor" soliloquy, and he knocked it out of the park. The "brother of Daryl and Daryl" has some serious talent when allowed to display it. Foly Huck!
    Now, can you guess which character will experience a slow descent into madness? The real E.B. Farnum (Ethan Bennet, as opposed to Eustace Bailey of the show) was actually a much more respected and competent pillar in Deadwood's history. The contrast with his character on the show is an example of the creative freedom they took, and I think it played out brilliantly for the entire series.

In general, I've seen this show bring out some of the best performances for all the actors involved (spare a few roles which didn't get much involvement). You're going to come across something a bit confusing later. The actor who plays Jack McCall (Garret Dillahunt) also plays another role later in the series. Needless to say, he does a fucking wonderful job for each role.

Last note: Glad that you're not the only one enjoying it in your household. I had a hard time keeping my wife on schedule with this, twice she was left to catch up on episodes while I was gone. You should keep it for the future and raise your kids on it, teaching them how to employ a rich dialogue

Kid at school (age 6): I saw the new Transformers movie, and it was soo cool
    MBM's child (age 6): The grand spectacle that gathers you hoople heads reaches its end too quickly. I revel in the moment's peace I had before you cocksuckers blared your trumpets of your simple minded delights. Get the fuck out of my sight. Occupy yourselves with whores and whiskey; I need but a few more minutes of contemplation.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Movies & TV   -   #4522
    Shared's Avatar What's mine is yours
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shared View Post
    The river why, I really enjoyed this movie. The music was beautiful
    On the other hand I would consider watching The River Why to be a good substitute for Sominex.
    Honestly God when I said that I really,really would like to sleep with Amber Heard this was not what I had in mind.
    **Laughs

Seriously you will not fall asleep with this movie, worth watching

Another movie I just recently watched is:

Gerry 2002

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302674/

I would have to say it's on a class of it's own, so it makes it hard to explain the movie itself. Throughout the movie the feeling of vastness was really held together well. The sounds used throughout the movie really worked well too, although I thought it was a bit creepy. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone.

3. Movies & TV   -   #4523
    Shared's Avatar What's mine is yours
    Pelican Blood (2010)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305059/

Another good movie with some great acting, enjoy

The Art of Flight (2011)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646967/

I managed to get my hands on a 1080p copy of this Documentary/Adventure/Sport type of film. Boy was I impressed! You have to watch it in full high definition to appreciate the camera work/optics used. After watching The Art of Flight it left me with an overwhelming sense of adventure and made me realize how great our planet is with it's vast and untouched areas which before watching this you'd think no one in their sane mind would travel there....

Well done Red Bull Media House.

Bellflower (2011)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242599/

Another great film to watch. The story line is quite weird actually but when you watch the whole movie it all comes together in a weird kind of way. This film is unique in it's own style and for a low budget movie Evan Glodell pulled it off quite well I must say.

Enjoy,

Last edited by Shared; 11-20-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Movies & TV   -   #4524
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Moneyball- Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill.

Baseball bores me*.
    Playing baseball bored me, watching it is excruciating.
    Baseball is so boring that many fans become as enamored of the official statistics as with the game itself...baseball fans were the first sports nerds.

Oddly enough, for a game which had such a detailed and extensive database, player evaluation and game strategy still depended on a large entrenched bureaucracy of scouts and coaches, who basically operated on intuition.
    Everyone knew statistics could tell you how a game or a season had gone but no one realized statistics could also explain why outcomes occurred and predict future play.

Baseball also has a huge money problem.
    Major market teams- NY Yankees, for instance- have a lot more money to spend on talent than smaller teams and have bought their way to dynastic status.
    Like all physical talent, baseball players have a very limited career window and must ruthlessly follow (and be unilaterally manipulated) by money.
    If a smaller market team stumbled upon a budding star, it was inevitable that an elite team would make an unmatchable offer and lure him away.
    Talent flowed ever upwards and the big guys always won.

End exposition (all of which is given the viewer in the first five minutes, so no real spoilers up there).

Moneyball tells the story of Billy Beane (Pitt), general manager of the poorly funded Oakland A's and Peter Brand (Hill), a prescient statistical analyst.
    To Beane, baseball is all about money, there is no romance or glory left.
    Brand is a lone voice in the wilderness who has processed the data and can't understand why no one else see what he does.
    Forced together by happenstance, once paired, Beane and Brand revolutionized a hidebound game.

So, it's weird I've written so much about something that bores me.
    Shows how much I enjoyed the movie.
    Moneyball is exactly the kind of movie Brad Pitt was built for, he suffers in the presence of artifice and spectacle (Troy anyone?).
    Jonah Hill is not annoying.
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman is almost unrecognizable.
    Even if, like me, baseball isn't your cup of tea, Moneyball is fun.

*One of my brothers played pro ball, so I've seen the personal side of the game a bit more than most.
    The movie tracks very closely with my impressions from him...only the fans and coaches believe in the magic.
    Players and management believe in money.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Movies & TV   -   #4525
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Did he punch anyone in the face?

6. Movies & TV   -   #4526
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Moneyball- Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill.
    Many insightful and funny things.
    For some reason baseball makes for good movies.I can only guess that with so little happening on the field it leaves a lot of time to do interesting things off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shared View Post

On the other hand I would consider watching The River Why to be a good substitute for Sominex.
    Honestly God when I said that I really,really would like to sleep with Amber Heard this was not what I had in mind.
    **Laughs

Seriously you will not fall asleep with this movie, worth watching
    I like thoughtful,I like gentle ,I like deliberately paced and I don't demand action .Call me crazy though but watching someone,especially someone that I feel no amity towards, stare off into space for prolonged periods of time doesn't strike me as being very entertaining.
    Also the whole thing felt uncomfortably like one of those thinly disguised Christian "message" films.
    Glad you liked it though .I would ,given my druthers, prefer to like more movies and dislike fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    God when I said that I really,really would like to sleep with Amber Heard this was not what I had in mind.
    Holy hell, where did she come from?

Attachment 92788
    I dunno but she needs to hire herself a new agent.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 11-20-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Movies & TV   -   #4527
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    On top of that, he would beat and threaten them into those positions. What's even more interesting is how the real Swearengen met his end. Maybe save that for some reading up after you finish the series (general recommendation).
    I've already read both versions. I believe people wanted to tell his story as having ended with him penniless, and failing to board a freight car. However, being bludgeoned, and found in the street is a fair ending, as well.

Last note: Glad that you're not the only one enjoying it in your household.[]You should keep it for the future and raise your kids on it, teaching them how to employ a rich dialogue

Kid at school (age 6): I saw the new Transformers movie, and it was soo cool
    MBM's child (age 6): The grand spectacle that gathers you hoople heads reaches its end too quickly. I revel in the moment's peace I had before you cocksuckers blared your trumpets of your simple minded delights. Get the fuck out of my sight. Occupy yourselves with whores and whiskey; I need but a few more minutes of contemplation.
    My kids spend their days being "culturally enlightened". Pandora is helping them get caught up with the past 4 decades of rock, and our daughter watches the shows with us.

God when I said that I really,really would like to sleep with Amber Heard this was not what I had in mind.
    Holy hell, where did she come from?

Attachment 92788
    Give All the Boys Love Mandy Lane a shot. It's no Deadwood, but it is a watchable modern slasher/object of affection film. Not too bad for what it was- a breakout role for her (she's Mandy- go figure, right?), and a decent genre-based look at the "value" placed on beauty in our day and age...
    Last edited by megabyteme; 11-20-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Movies & TV   -   #4528
    Just watch Immortals in the movies, I personally dont really like the action and plot. I wont recommend it if you ask me. .

9. Movies & TV   -   #4529
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jelloman View Post
    Just watch Immortals in the movies, I personally dont really like the action and plot. I wont recommend it if you ask me. .
    i went to the midnite showing and i thought it was ok. i personally liked some of the fighting scenes. the cinematography wasn't especially good, but when the gods came down and heads started exploding.. i dug that!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

10. Movies & TV   -   #4530
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    .......the cinematography wasn't especially good, but when the .... heads started exploding.. i dug that!
    You should check out Meet the Feebles, an early Peter Jackson movie. It's sort of a drugged out noir muppet splatterfest.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73