Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heatsink Lapping

lynx's Avatar .
    You could use plastic P-Clips as an alternative.

Cut off the 90 degree bend (on the right in the picture) and make a new hole. You've now got a flexible U-shaped bracket.

Now fasten one side to the drive using the standard fixing screws, and fasten the other side to the floor of the case using a small screw and nut.

The natural springiness of the plastic should dampen any vibration, and at the same time it will be fairly secure.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Some nice ideas, I'll check into all of em and see whats easiest to find. I ended up remove the cooler and switch the locking mechanism around but even when its vice versa it's still in the way because the locking lever in way of the PCI connector on the mobo It took me atleast an hour if not more to put it back on. Clocker any comments on that?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Just got the badboys for the HD, http://www.silenxusa.com/productcart...7&idproduct=55

It looks like Iill be boring out the holes to get the screws to fit
    Last edited by S!X; 12-19-2006 at 07:30 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Imo you don't need those. I'd get a mousepad free or at the dollar store. Put the HDD on the mousepad.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Imo you don't need those. I'd get a mousepad free or at the dollar store. Put the HDD on the mousepad.
    These things are awesome... almost completely silenced the HD, I can barely hear it. It's cut down the vibration a lot.
    Last edited by S!X; 12-19-2006 at 09:36 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Sorry for this mega bump, after reading this lapping guide (http://www.modsynergy.com/article6.htm) im determined to lap my AC64 because the contact base of it is very rough which surprised me when I got it. Now I have to go up to canadian tire and get some sandpaper and metal polish unless there's an alternative way to polishing copper.... ah. I'll report back on the results after all is said and done.
    Last edited by S!X; 01-14-2007 at 04:56 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Do NOT use metal polish on your heatsink.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Do NOT use metal polish on your heatsink.
    I already did. It's "Blue Magic Liquid Metal Polish" which claims to be safe and nonabrasive. Here's the only decent link I could find for it (http://www.autobarn.net/ch200.html). On a lighter note, the lapping did help a bit. The idle temps gone down about 6 or 7 celcius , im not sure about load though.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    The idle temps gone down about 6 or 7 celcius , im not sure about load though.
    Either your heatsink's surface was warped beyond usability or something else is in play here- such a dramatic difference is just not possible by simply lapping.

Probably a combination of mount pressure, TIM application/surface finish/flatness and room ambient.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Either your heatsink's surface was warped beyond usability or something else is in play here- such a dramatic difference is just not possible by simply lapping.
    I believe the TIM application was too thick prior to this one, to the point of where it oozed out the sides quite a bit when I put the heatsink on. Why do you recommend not using metal polish on the heatsink? The only thing that I could find that is an apparent disadvantage to using is in this quote:
    The disadvantage is that almost all metal polishes contain additives such as corrosion inhibitors and other stuff to shine it up. The problem with this is that those things hinder heat transfer and must be removed with the chemical cleaner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast