Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: First driving lesson next week!! Yayyy

myminpins's Avatar Poster
    Wow, things are certainly different in different parts of the world. Here in Nova Scotia, Canada, you cannot obtain a driver's license without driver's ed.

First you have to do the eye test and written test. Until you pass that, you don't get to drive. Then you can take your lessons and no one learns on a standard transmission. They're very rare around here these days (I love them but I'm a minority)

I noticed someone saying he should use his HAND BRAKE while driving??? Since when do you EVER use your hand brake??? That's only for extra insurance when you are parked in my world. You NEVER use the hand brake unless the foot brake fails.

I've been driving since the day I turned 16 and, in those days, we didn't need lessons in order to get a full license. I never had an accident that was my fault as in I was driving recklessly, incorrectly, etc. Did have a couple due to winter weather/ice though... nasty stuff. They finally marked that turn five years later after at least 20 accidents a year there (the snow would blow over the road while the rest of the road for MILES around would be clear - and it was a blind turn).

I'm glad you passed your tests. Both my kids went through that last year. Over $500 each for lessons. They are still not allowed to drive my car, though. They drive their dad's car only (mine's worth too much to replace if in an accident and it's my only vehicle, their dad's car is cheap and he rarely uses it)

Have fun but always be careful and NEVER DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #142
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Hand brake would be used for a hill start...

Im after a few drinks though so I won't try and write a long answer.. I'm off to bed.. good night all

3. The Drawing Room   -   #143
    I've never used a hand brake on a hill start in my life. That'd be cheating in my books. You learn to use the foot brake and the clutch/gas and you learn fast so you don't coast.

Use the hand brake??? No way!!!! lol

Sleep well!!!

4. The Drawing Room   -   #144
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by myminpins View Post
    I've never used a hand brake on a hill start in my life. That'd be cheating in my books. You learn to use the foot brake and the clutch/gas and you learn fast so you don't coast.

Use the hand brake??? No way!!!! lol

Sleep well!!!
    You would fail your test in many parts of the world.

In places where manual gearboxes are more common than automatic, the chances of rolling back are much higher when people get it wrong, and consequently the emphasis on using the handbrake is much higher. Additionally, the handbrake is often put in a much more convenient position and easier to apply/release.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #145
    Why would I fail my test if I didn't roll back? My father drove a standard most of his life and, when I was young, we always had a standard. He never ever used his hand brake except when parking, especially on a hill.

My first car was a standard and I drove another for years and years and, again, never used a hand brake and Nova Scotia is VERY hilly.

I learned never to ride the clutch (as so many do to keep from rolling - idiots) but to get very good at using the clutch so I didn't roll back.

I guess things are different in Europe, etc. Long as you drive competently, don't roll back, etc., on a hill, you pass your test. I took my driving test in a standard, actually, and passed with flying colors.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415