Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: First driving lesson next week!! Yayyy

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Heel - toe is a method of keeping the revs up when changing gear, something racing drivers do all the time, it is not for hill starts, that's what the handbrake is for. Telling a young kid going for his test to use heel - toe for pulling away on hills is stupid and irresponsible.
    I see you aren't too accomplished behind the wheel either.

If you'd actually read rather than skim on the way to indulging your anti-j2 pique, you'd notice I did not tell him to use heel-toe, I merely told him it existed to be imparted at a later (and as yet unspecified) time.

I know you take umbrage when I insult your intelligence, but it precisely these occasions which prompt me to do so, dumb-fuck.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I see you aren't too accomplished behind the wheel either.
    By your own criteria I'm far more accomplished than you, having driven everything from pushbikes to 80 ton truck mounted cranes and everything in between, including saloon car racing, and I've done that on four continents for the past 43 years ... without an accident or as much as a speeding fine.

If you'd actually read rather than skim on the way to indulging your anti-j2 pique, you'd notice I did not tell him to use heel-toe, I merely told him it existed to be imparted at a later (and as yet unspecified) time.
    You told him it was for hill starts, whether or not you told him to do it now or later is irrelevant, it was wrong.

"Driving away on an uphill can be tricky, occasionally requiring a heel-toe brake-throttle technique, but we'll save that for later."

I know you take umbrage when I insult your intelligence, but it precisely these occasions which prompt me to do so, dumb-fuck.
    You don't insult my intelligence, you just spit the dummy every time I show you up to be a big-noter ... oh how the mighty have fallen, just like the Reps. So you stick to personal insults, and I'll continue to correct you.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    C'mon guys.. never meant it to turn into flaming and stuff.. it's my first driving lesson we're talking about, on Sunday.. remember?

The next thing to do is the theory test..

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    C'mon guys.. never meant it to turn into flaming and stuff..
    Oh, come now, Rafi.

I haven't flamed Ava yet; I just want you to be the best driver in all of Israel, and she wants you to be something less, perhaps a social democrat.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    What is the heel toe thing?

For hill starts I leave the handbrake on and pull up the clutch (one hand on the steering wheel on on the handbrake). As the car begins to pull forward I depress the handbrake and move off (lifting the clutch and pressing the accelerator pedal normally once the hand brake is down).

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I was just about to ask the same question. When I'm driving my right heel never leaves the floor. Neither does my left one, truth be told

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Heel-toe is a method of keeping your revs up when changing gear and braking, usually into a corner. It's used by rally drivers and saloon car racers because they can't afford to waste even a split second on a corner.

You brake with your heel whilst tapping the throttle with your toes, so your foot is sideways. This keeps the revs up so that when you pull out of a corner the revs match the wheel speed of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SeK612
    For hill starts I leave the handbrake on and pull up the clutch (one hand on the steering wheel on[e] on the handbrake). As the car begins to pull forward I depress the handbrake and move off (lifting the clutch and pressing the accelerator pedal normally once the hand brake is down).
    Perfect!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Heel-toe is a method of keeping your revs up when changing gear and braking, usually into a corner. It's used by rally drivers and saloon car racers because they can't afford to waste even a split second on a corner.

You brake with your heel whilst tapping the throttle with your toes, so your foot is sideways. This keeps the revs up so that when you pull out of a corner the revs match the wheel speed of the car.
    Oh, OK

If you're not racing, that seems like an insane and pointless thing to try.

Also, back to something else J2 said, I quite often downshift to reduce speed a bit. Saves the brake-pads a little bit.

I think if you do the Advanced Driving Test (UK) they tell you not to do that, but meh...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Back when I bothered about such things, one of the things my instructor made me do was practice keeping the car standing still, pointing uphill, only using the throttle, no brakes. (The parking break was mainly for, you know, parking.)

Countering gravity as it were. I thought that was what J2 meant.

Also, downshifting to reduce speed was something I was taught to do, seeing as how reducing speed that way, rather than braking, can be safer on an icy road. (Hardly ever drove something with ABS (anti-lock braking system to you non-swedes/germans out there).)

EDit: I'm told the police in our area used to go through transmissions like something else, putting their cars into reverse while still moving forward at some speed, to stop quicker. That's probably overdoing it (and also fairly hard to do with modern cars.)
    Last edited by Snee; 12-13-2006 at 06:11 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I honestly couldn't tell you how I pull away on an upward incline. It doesn't involve any racing moves or fancy parking brake maneuvers though.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast