Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What The Hell Is This?

Poster
    i may be wrong but dont the temp files for MS Word/MS Excel/MS whatever save their temp data in files that begin with ~? the program must have forgotten to delete the file after it was done.
    that's what I think anyway!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by ijc_2003@18 May 2003 - 21:34
    k it seems to be when your outlook express aint configured, because i clicked on mine by accident and then canceled it and it put this file on desktop thats the 1st time i seen it.
    Thats it.
    I've seen this as well whenOutlook is'nt configured

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    I just found a bunch more of these in my system, filled with peoples email addresses. All scans with AV and Anti-Trojan again come up clean.
    The email addresses weren't just from my accounts and I don't keep address books or contact lists on the computer.
    I did a full system search and found them in the symantec client AV folder and outside the OS files in one partition.
    Nothings gotten out as far as mail but there were refferences to the SMTP( simple mail tranfer protocol) service which I have disabled.
    I have to assume this is some part of a virus or trojan program which isn't being recognised yet by the AV makers or maybe something that hasn't been allowed to fully execute itself. Maybe bits that were left behind by an attempted virus entry.
    I have had some cracks try to execute but they were caught by norton and wiped.

The thing that convinces me there's more to these files is that all email addresses were copied in different variations like first name last, last name first, slightly different spellings, etc.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I know this isn't helpful, but balamm I was just wondering if u could modify your sig a little bit. On my work computer (runs crappy netscape 4 ) for some reason your sig flashes quite insanely and its making me go cross eyed Does it have to be a gif? it doesn't seem to be animated or is that this browser being crap again? For some reason its only your pic that does.
    Would be very much appreciated

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Ummm.... it's a static gif at the moment. The end of internet one?

Netscape 4? Aren't they up to 6 or something now?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    yeah tell me about it this browser sucks balls. But I'm new at work so I'm not too sure about handling upgrades and stuff. Its not important, I just thought i'd ask cos it was annoying me a little bit.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Poster
    I'd change it but the ISP isn't responding to front page at the moment. That may be part of why you're seeing flickers.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Poster

hi there !
    what the hell is this ?
    one programme that lets you see a lot more than most is
    Quick View Plus . there are many options to choose from.
    regards
    m8t

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    Awesome! thanks. I got that program off fosi and saved it to CD without ever checking it out cause I thought it was just an image viewer. I just tried it on a few .dat's and .exe's and it works great.
    I'll be prepared next time I see one of the buggars, lol !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast