Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you really need ssl encryption for newsgroups?

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by digitrifecta View Post
    SSL for the usenet is not completely useless. Sometimes ISPs will use traffic shaping to throttle the speeds of specific types of traffic like Usenet (NNTP), using SSL prevents this. Also I use it so that I can download bins at work and nobody knows It's 100Mb line

Also, screw giganews, if you need SSL try Usenetserver, they offer SSL access free with all acounts. Hope this helps.
    I don't agree with that "screw Giganews" thingie as I have used them since 06/26/2005 (average of 330GB per month) and I have NEVER had any down time or other problems at all. That's not the case with the other providers (just look at this forum). I rather want to pay a few $ more for quality.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    This has been posted on the frontpage and said before: http://filesplit.org/2007/01/22/sll-...should-use-it/.
    There is no need to use it unless you want secure acces in a network enviroment or your isp shapes/caps your line.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Mpeace
    So I can stick with my own method..I have a monkey chasing a banana and it clears out my own address..Works well and banana's are cheap

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    eMonkey?

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by digitrifecta View Post
    SSL for the usenet is not completely useless. Sometimes ISPs will use traffic shaping to throttle the speeds of specific types of traffic like Usenet (NNTP), using SSL prevents this. Also I use it so that I can download bins at work and nobody knows It's 100Mb line

Also, screw giganews, if you need SSL try Usenetserver, they offer SSL access free with all acounts. Hope this helps.
    I don't agree with that "screw Giganews" thingie as I have used them since 06/26/2005 (average of 330GB per month) and I have NEVER had any down time or other problems at all. That's not the case with the other providers (just look at this forum). I rather want to pay a few $ more for quality.
    Yes, ur right in the fact that giganews is very reliable however, I dont believe its worth the extra money. And since its subscription based, its more than a few dollars that add up over time.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    SSL with Usenetserver DOES NOT hinder my download what-so-ever. Using their encrypted server still gives me 10Mbits/s, maxing out my line. The best part is that the SSL is rolled into any package that is provided by Usenetserver. They may not have 90 day retention like Giganews but their 10 connections and cheap prices along with 75 day retention make them a great choice.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    The problem with SSL aint bandwith but cpu usage. It can add 30% more cpu load to the companies serverfarm. I dont know whats the difference for us users.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    u use Usenetserver. how fast is the service they offering???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12