Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are "Legit" uses for a Remote Desktop?

I plan to use Universal VNC to remotely control the home computer while on my college network. I would download torrents to the home computer, then FTP those files to my laptop.

I want to find out if the campus network blocks port 5900 or RFB protocol, both of which Universal VNC uses, are blocked.

I can't find a way to do this except by calling the campus IT (I wouldn't tell them it's for filesharing) and am worried about what questions they would ask me.

So what are "legitimate" reasons to use remote desktop software while on campus?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    You probably could have just continued this in the other thread. Remote desktops are actually most commonly used for legit reasons, not the other way around. Therefore, IT staff shouldn't have any cause for suspicion. Rather, they'd be quite familiar with remote desktop (though probably using Windows RDP, remote desktop protocol). I use RDP all the time to access and run software only available on the computers in my lab.

In your case, you only need to say that you want to remotely connect to your home computer and wanted to know if you can access it using port 5900, RFB linux-based protocol. It's none of their business if they want to probe what you'd be doing, that would be a deliberate attempt to breach your privacy.

Also, you're not a bot, are you? I can't figure what the fuck is up with your username.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-12-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    You probably could have just continued this in the other thread. Remote desktops are actually most commonly used for legit reasons, not the other way around. Therefore, IT staff shouldn't have any cause for suspicion. Rather, they'd be quite familiar with remote desktop (though probably using Windows RDP, remote desktop protocol). I use RDP all the time to access and run software only available on the computers in my lab.

In your case, you only need to say that you want to remotely connect to your home computer and wanted to know if you can access it using port 5900, RFB linux-based protocol. It's none of their business if they want to probe what you'd be doing, that would be a deliberate attempt to breach your privacy.
    This.

Also, you're not a bot, are you? I can't figure what the fuck is up with your username.
    Random generator, if I remember correctly.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

4. File Sharing   -   #4

I'm not a bot; I use a random password generator. I'm extra cautious about my privacy. Sorry about the extra thread. I thought I would get more specific information this way.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    This.

Random generator, if I remember correctly.
    Thanks a lot! You've been a great help.
    Last edited by zKfgzT9K8apb; 10-12-2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    One thing to remember is that the IT department is not only going to be watching the ports being used but also the bandwidth regardless of the protocol. So ftp'ing alot of large files is still going to make the department sit up and take notice whether you encrypt the transfers or not. You will still need to explain away the actual data transfer if they are halfway awake.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    You will still need to explain away the actual data transfer if they are halfway awake.
    That one's easy:
    -There's a lot of traffic on your connection, what are you doing with your remote connection?
    I'm transferring large files from my home computer
    -What are they?
    Well, the extension on them is dot none of your fucking business

They have no reason to inquire unless he's breaking a transfer limit rule, but regardless we can assume privacy practices and laws still apply here. I'd be pissed if anyone at my school tried to probe as to why I kept using remote desktop connections and VPNs. I'd raise fucking hell actually, I'm not someone they'd want to stir up over that matter. So I tell you this 7sdf7d9807dg, be THAT person if you need to.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 10-13-2011 at 10:56 AM.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    They can simply cut off your internet if you're transferring too much. Usually the type of traffic is irrelevant, it's a simple matter of volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    That one's easy:
    -There's a lot of traffic on your connection, what are you doing with your remote connection?
    -What are they?
    They can easily counter with "it's OUR bandwidth you're using"
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    They can easily counter with "it's OUR bandwidth you're using"
    To which the reply would be, "Fine, gentleman who doesn't even pay the bill for this internet access, I have an entire library of photos that your mother has sent me in various sexual and lewd positions. In my haste to leave my home to embark on this fresh college venture, I did not take the time to purchase the disk space and transfer this massive library to my laptop or other device. Rather, I had my brother setup my computer for remote access so that I can download this massive collection. Given the speed you provide here, it's going to take me quite a number of external USB drives and the rest of my time here to acquire the entire library. I constantly yearn to masturbate to novel photos, so simply relying on the same small set is out of the question. I should blame you for purchasing her a high end, high resolution digital camera, they really do take up too much space."

"P.S. On second thought, maybe I'll try to save money and delete the photos I've downloaded after I've finished masturbating."

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    You will still need to explain away the actual data transfer if they are halfway awake.
    That one's easy:
    -What are they?

They have no reason to inquire unless he's breaking a transfer limit rule, but regardless we can assume privacy practices and laws still apply here. I'd be pissed if anyone at my school tried to probe as to why I kept using remote desktop connections and VPNs. I'd raise fucking hell actually, I'm not someone they'd want to stir up over that matter. So I tell you this 7sdf7d9807dg, be THAT person if you need to.
    I Will if I need to! Hopefully I won't need to though.

Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    They can simply cut off your internet if you're transferring too much. Usually the type of traffic is irrelevant, it's a simple matter of volume.
    They should give me a warning before cutting it off. I called today, and they do support Universal VNC on their network.

I won't download my files through port 5900. Instead, I'll use VNC to deposit the files into a synchronized directory used by Drop Box or a similar program. I was thinking of using file splitting, compression, and encryption software to help avoid suspicion. It's probably not necessary to split those files though.

I'll have to learn to keep track of the bandwith. As long as I don't exceed their bandwith limits or show I'm doing anything illegal, I see no reason for them to cut my Internet access or investigate.
    Last edited by zKfgzT9K8apb; 10-13-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast