Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got A Call From My Isp Today, About Piracy...

First off, I figured with their campaign, that by the end of the month someone would get of worth here would get nailed, lucky you huh.

My cable company put it simply, don't worry, but if your sharing the latest thing, you may gea call or a letter, since every time we get a complaint it is about current material.

How, as Jibber mentioned, well I keep my Peer Gaurdian visible while online and watch when I get blocks...

First, any time I search a popular file and start downloading a fake, immediatly following, the blocks start, usually about 5 to 10 of them.

Second, the other day I started getting quite a few hits, odd since I wasn't even downloading and my external was disconnected, leaving only a couple hundread files, most older low profile types. So, WTF then, funny you should ask, well while playing with ES5, I downloaded a movie trailer to a very popular movie which ended in up in my shared folder, which is the same for KaZaa, ES5 was not running, KaZaa was, as it always is from boot up. Since the trailer has the same name it was searched and then found and proposed to do whatever they do at that point, f**kers.

Knowing this just tell your ISP it was a trailer, which I don't think is copyrighted, or is it.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    TRshady
    BS

only joking, damn I was hoping this wouldn't happen to someone I trust. But then again I'm sure I mentioned before that my friend got a call (from NTL) who was a bit more harsh as he was also going over the 1GB so he asked if he could quit and they said they'd call him back ........................ never did. See, at the end of the day it's all about money.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Eatchipz's Avatar Poster
    Hi is there any way my Service ppl which is NTL will not find out what I am doin Beacuse I am gettin Woried

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    My main question is this...

How do they know the file on my hard drive was really that? Not me just faking people out, renaming files, etc?

unless they downloaded it, they really dont know do they? especially seeings as the so called file, isnt even on my hard drive anyhow now? there is no proof of what they found, to being copyrighted material... 1... like no one downlaoded a full copy of that from me, being an avi, they would need the full file, to show what it was, or avi preview, which i dbout they use, etc.

cant i, worse come to worse, in the future, say i get another one, move it to a cd, and say, hey, it musta been a fake, u know how fasttrack is? and what in all seriousness can they do?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    TRshady
    Originally posted by Eatchipz@21 May 2003 - 05:57
    Hi is there any way my Service ppl which is NTL will not find out what I am doin Beacuse I am gettin Woried
    please don't worry, the worst (well with NTL anyway) that can EVER happen is you will get a call asking you to stop, you say there deleted or whatever and stop using kazaa, for a while .......... Thats when I would stop but they always want to keep their customers and would not get you in any trouble.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Eatchipz's Avatar Poster
    please don't worry, the worst (well with NTL anyway) that can EVER happen is you will get a call asking you to stop, you say there deleted or whatever and stop using kazaa, for a while .......... Thats when I would stop but they always want to keep their customers and would not get you in any trouble.
    Thanx So u sayin I sould only stop untill they phone me.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by REALITY@21 May 2003 - 00:43
    Knowing this just tell your ISP it was a trailer, which I don't think is copyrighted, or is it.
    Trailers ARE copyrighted -- some websites have been 'attacked' by the MPAA for uploading trailers to whoever wants them... because they weren't 'official distribution sites'.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    TRshady
    Originally posted by Eatchipz@21 May 2003 - 06:17
    Thanx So u sayin I sould only stop untill they phone me.
    In a way, yes (If they will ever call you, which is unlikely).
    They wouldn't do anything without a asking you to stop first.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 May 2003 - 07:07
    My main question is this...

How do they know the file on my hard drive was really that?  Not me just faking people out, renaming files, etc?

cant i, worse come to worse, in the future, say i get another one, move it to a cd, and say, hey, it musta been a fake, u know how fasttrack is? and what in all seriousness can they do?
    First, I remember a post from some tard saying they downloaded Anger Management, it turned out to be a fake, but it sat in their shared folder overnight, well needless to say they got a letter about the uploading of that file during that night.

Second, they don't need to prove anything, your not in court, nor do I believe they would have much luck in an actual court case.

These people are here to scare us, and its working as new files are much harder to get sources compared to a year ago on KaZaa. As I have said before KaZaa has gone from my "hot babe" to "the old lady". I have recently been node hopping to europe and other coutries since when I try to find more sources when my node is in the states, sources seem rare. Also many of us use many other methods to get files and it is now questionable whether to share them on KaZaa.

If KaZaa does not start to implement remidies for this, their days are numbered. I think they should publicly advertise a healthy list of SOCKS PROXY5 sites that are reliable and fast, I would even "pay" (a word rarely used on this forum) monthly to have a good SOCKS PROXY5, just for a little peice of mind, after all it is already built into KaZaa.

In additon, I thought having Peer Gaurdian built into KL in the ad space would be nice. I started a topic HERE if your interested on making a comment. When I get mutiple hits, I drop my IP and request a new one.

By the way what does Peer Gaurdian stop, the Search, the Download, viewing Shared Folders, or all.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    MaxAndig
    Schmiggy:

They don`t need the download of a complete movie.

It`s sufficient for them to have a very, very small fragmented pice of the movie. It`s very easy to compare that fragment against the complete file and find out that the fragment is really a small part of the copyrighted material.

Copyright laws do not define how long a pirated piece of copyrighted material has to be!

Only, if the fragment is in no - whatever - correlation to the copyrighted file, they have no proof of copyright infringement and will finally loose the case.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast