Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Poll!

Mivaro's Avatar _________
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 May 2003 - 22:36
    In that case you are the same as me - you are what is called an Agnostic.

For reference:
    - An athiest is a really active non-believer who believes that no-one should believe in a God.
    - An agnostic doesn't see any reason to believe in a God, but doesn't have a problem with others doing so.
    Agnostic, that's the word i was looking for!
    Only one problem, i don't fit in both catagories, i activly don't believe in a god, although i accept
    others do (as long they don't try to convince me ) For me religion is a way to deal with insecurity about the meaning of life and fear of dying .
    Why do people so desperately want a reason for all things....
    'English impaired'

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 May 2003 - 22:36
    Somewhere between 3 and 4..
    I think i'm an atheist, but to be honest, the best answer is 3. ignorist, i really don't care
    In that case you are the same as me - you are what is called an Agnostic.

For reference:
    - An athiest is a really active non-believer who believes that no-one should believe in a God.
    - An agnostic doesn't see any reason to believe in a God, but doesn't have a problem with others doing so.

You should try to learn this difference - calling an agnostic an athiest would be like calling a Catholic a Protestant (although it won't provoke such a violent response if you miscategorise a Northern Irish Agnostic&#33.
    Surely an Atheist is someone who is positive that there is no God

Whereas an Agnostic is someone who does not believe in a God, because they have not seen it proven.

Their view of what others should believe is irrelevant.

Obviously I over simplify, but I find it makes life easier.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Ex-member
    You are a true agnostic - they can actively 'not believe' (like me); they difference is their attitude to others.

My response to the question "What is the meaning of life?" is "Make your own reason and stick to it."

My reason is "Live a happy life and leave the world a better place than you found it."

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Poster
    The book of words describes an Agnostic as :

a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

It describes Atheist as :

one who denies the existence of God

If you are sure God does not exist you are an Atheist.

For the record, there is no doubt in my mind that he does.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Mivaro's Avatar _________
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 May 2003 - 22:53
    You are a true agnostic - they can actively 'not believe' (like me); they difference is their attitude to others.

My response to the question "What is the meaning of life?" is "Make your own reason and stick to it."

My reason is "Live a happy life and leave the world a better place than you found it."
    I can only agree..
    Maybe except for the reason, i don't need a reason to live, it's enough that i do, better make the best of it then
    'English impaired'

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Ex-member
    I can only agree.. 
    Maybe except for the reason, i don't need a reason to live, it's enough that i do, better make the best of it then 
    Yeah... I suppose my answer is more like a life philosophy than a reason to live.

Oh well - it still makes for a good smart-arsed answer...

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by JPaul@23 May 2003 - 22:57
    The book of words describes an Agnostic as :

a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

It describes Atheist as :

one who denies the existence of God

If you are sure God does not exist you are an Atheist.

For the record, there is no doubt in my mind that he does.
    Don't want to descend to sophistry (if that's the word) but it strikes me you are an Atheist Lamsey.

Doesn't make you a bad person. Just wrong.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Ex-member
    I have seen and heard it defined otherwise. Maybe I am consulting the wrong Book of Words? Will check Mum's big dictionary when I get home.

I guess Mivaro and I may be grey areas. I don't believe there is a God but I don't rule it out entirely - ie. my attitude is "I don't think there's a god" as opposed to "there isn't one.".

Now that is a good smart-arsed answer!

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Poster
    Originally posted by Lamsey@23 May 2003 - 23:10
    I have seen and heard it defined otherwise. Maybe I am consulting the wrong Book of Words? Will check Mum's big dictionary when I get home.

I guess Mivaro and I may be grey areas. I don't believe there is a God but I don't rule it out entirely - ie. my attitude is "I don't think there's a god" as opposed to "there isn't one.".

Now that is a good smart-arsed answer!
    Given both of your last posts

Mivaro is an Atheist.

You are an Agnostic.

Incidentally I use

http://www.britannica.com/

for reference purposes.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    we are not that religous , but there is one thing that always comes to mind, As we can't stand tyranny of the week.
    And yes it was in a film!!!
    Ezekiel 25 : 17 "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.
    Blessid is he who in the name of charity and good will sheppards the week through the valley of darkness, For he is truley his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children.
    And i will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger, those who atempt to poison and destroy my brothers, AND YOU WILL KNOW MY NAME IS THE LORD! WHEN I LAY MY VENGENCE UPON THEE!"

As Keen Surfers of the sea we are the "Sons of Neptune", We believe in the moment.

Barry Buffalo & Jonno B)
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast