Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Skeptic's View of Global Warming...

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

Do you not even remember Ethiopia in 1984?
    Is it your view that the situation in Ethiopia is characteristic of any sort of global condition?
    No, I'm pointing out that whoever wrote that article is glossing over the fact that there was some occurrence of mass starvation in the 1980's.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post

dance around that
    There is distinctly less ice in the second picture

However, I have read reports that this epoch of the Earth is unusual in that there is ice at both poles at the same time.

Perhaps the climate is actually rebalancing itself

The fact of the matter is, we don't know. But it doesn't mean we don't have to try and minimize our impact on it.

We can't afford to be wrong, after all.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    And that's the whole point, we CAN"T afford to be wrong, and cleaning up our act can do nothing but good ... except to those who have an interest in keeping things the way they are, like the oil companies, and those who stand to make a financial gain from being sceptical, like the book writers and video makers claiming there is no global warming.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    And that's the whole point, we CAN"T afford to be wrong, and cleaning up our act can do nothing but good ... except to those who have an interest in keeping things the way they are, like the oil companies, and those who stand to make a financial gain from being sceptical, like the book writers and video makers claiming there is no global warming.
    IMO the biggest cause of global warming, and lung problems, is the fumes from cars. If you don't believe me take a look at the pollution that hangs around the major cities. Especially in America. I can vouch for the difference in roadside vegetation since I was a kid 60 years ago. There was an abundance of it then. Now everything is dying or dead.

Sixty years ago there was approximately one car per street. Now there is more than one car per household. To counteract this we could all drive electric cars. They could have Battery Changing Stations instead of Petrol stations. They now have electric cars that can go more than 150 miles per charge and can go at a reasonable speed. Are we willing to make this change? I doubt it.

When I was young the cases of Asthma were few and far between and generally 'ran' in families. Now there is a sharp rise in the amount of Asthma cases. What has this to do with car fumes I hear you cry?. The inhalation of fumes from cars mimics the symptoms of Asthma. Couple that with poor diagnosis, which is common nowadays, and you end up with more cases of Asthma.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...s+Asthma&meta=
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

There is a large loss of ice to the bottom of the picture(2003). Strangely there is also quiet a bit of additional ice to the top of the picture(2003). I wonder what the actual total loss is and why this area at the top has frozen when the bottom part has melted. Is this just a 'shift' of polar ice? There is no apparent ice loss on the land masses in fact I would say there is more ice on the land.. Say what you see.
    Global combover

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Seriously looking at that i can tell there is masses of change that has occured over the years.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    Seriously looking at that i can tell there is masses of change that has occured over the years.
    I didn't see any baby cows at all.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!

dance around that

However, I have read reports that this epoch of the Earth is unusual in that there is ice at both poles at the same time.

The fact of the matter is, we don't know. But it doesn't mean we don't have to try and minimize our impact on it.

i was waiting for j2 to say that it's notproven to be humanses fault. then i was gonna be like "if an asteroid was on a collision course with earth, would we be like 'yeah, well we didn't put it there' and just let it pwn us all?"

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

i was waiting for j2 to say that it's notproven to be humanses fault. then i was gonna be like "if an asteroid was on a collision course with earth, would we be like 'yeah, well we didn't put it there' and just let it pwn us all?"
    That is like an argument with my wife.
    'I did not say that, in fact I was not there at the time'
    'Yes, but that is what you would have said if you had been there'.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    The voice-over (Gore) states that glaciers are receding everywhere, and sea-levels will soon rise twenty feet.

The irony is that, while he's banging on about receding glaciers, on the screen is depicted huge glacial "calving" events, wherein massive chunks of ice break from the parent ice-pack and fall quite spectacularly into the ocean.

For those who aren't aware, calving is a sign of glacial growth.

An Inconvenient Truth, indeed.
    care to read up on the subject and revise the above statements?
    Actually, no; I'm good.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast