Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: bitmetv down

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist7 View Post
    And they're being asses as usual:

Quote Originally Posted by tequilavip
    remember that 3 months ago, nearly 100% of sahows were on midseason breaks, so there was no load on the tracker, and at that time, member limit was increased from about 22,000 to 25,000. then, after the member increase, all the shows came back with new episodes, and the site got slammed. my solution would be to cut the userbase back down to 22,000 or 23,000... how about we start with the whiners? also, anyone who would like to donate the $20,000 to buy all new hardware would of course be exempt from such a culling
    Three months ago, they had 24,500 members. Now they have 24,300 members. How many people do they think they're fooling?

We should start a pool to donate money in exchange for some of the stupider mods to step down (starting with this guy). Should work if we can get enough regular donors on board.
    When a tracker dies from too many peers, there's no real warning. It goes from "working fine" to "not working" immediately. It seems to have to do with table locks in MySQL for the most part. So, as someone who's been in the same position as the bitmetv staff are now, I'd say maybe you should cut them a break. It's not easy to keep a site up 24/7.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    C[a]N's Avatar ArchWayisHardWay BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    it's up...

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    nvidia6800's Avatar ....... BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    its work again now

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    pwer BT Rep: +1
    bitmetv alive again

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchTime View Post
    And they're being asses as usual:

Three months ago, they had 24,500 members. Now they have 24,300 members. How many people do they think they're fooling?

We should start a pool to donate money in exchange for some of the stupider mods to step down (starting with this guy). Should work if we can get enough regular donors on board.
    When a tracker dies from too many peers, there's no real warning. It goes from "working fine" to "not working" immediately. It seems to have to do with table locks in MySQL for the most part. So, as someone who's been in the same position as the bitmetv staff are now, I'd say maybe you should cut them a break. It's not easy to keep a site up 24/7.
    Hmm, two people have complained about it; that probably did come out harsher than I intended. I never did like this particular mod, however (if you can't already tell). The other admins posting have been civil and apologetic about the site delays and downtime. This guy is making up excuses and being sarcastic. Unfortunately, it makes the whole staff look bad.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Army's Avatar Addicted To MySelf BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    yeh it's up

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    When your government passes a law you don't like, do you move to another country?
    that's a horrible comparison and doesn't work.

an appropriate example would be something like this. you shop at a store and are treated rudely by the employees. you dislike the way the employees are treating you, so you complain to management. management doesn't do anything about it.

do you continue shopping at that store? no, you take your business elsewhere. there's more than one store that you can shop at.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by lysine View Post
    When your government passes a law you don't like, do you move to another country?
    that's a horrible comparison and doesn't work.

an appropriate example would be something like this. you shop at a store and are treated rudely by the employees. you dislike the way the employees are treating you, so you complain to management. management doesn't do anything about it.

do you continue shopping at that store? no, you take your business elsewhere. there's more than one store that you can shop at.
    Fine, let's use your example. There's more ways to affect change than simply complaining the management and then taking your business elsewhere. You can make them look bad in public forums, for example.

Edit: Furthermore, I would argue the latter method is far more effective. Who's going to notice 1, or even 100 members leaving a tracker of 25,000? Dozens of people, however, have viewed these posts, and many hundreds more have the capability. To say you should simply leave the tracker is a way of shutting down uncomfortable discussions. After all, do you think that most trackers delete all critical posts simply because they don't like criticism? Of course not, they don't want the ideas spreading. My way spreads knowlege that can be used as a foundation for change.
    Last edited by Sentient; 03-01-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Clarity; Further explanation

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Fine, let's use your example. And once again, it depends on the store. If this store is the only place to get free tv, and everywhere else I have to pay $50 for it, guess what, I stick around, continue to give them my business, and try to come up with other ways to change the management.
    why do stores change management? mainly because of complaints to corporate headquarters or a loss of profit. how many complaints have you made to the administrators at bitmetv about your issues?

if the people at corporate headquarters (the administrators) don't listen to the complaints, then you have another other option. you can choose to stop doing business at that store. eventually, if enough people stop doing business at the store, it will either close, or clear out the management and replace them with new managers.

There's more ways to affect change than simply taking your business elsewhere. Making them look bad in public forums, for example.
    that really works, huh? despite all the bitching I see about tvip all over forums (99% of the time, I think he comes off as an asshole too), do you see a mass exodus of users from the site? obviously the admins there read his posts and have no problem with him.

making someone look bad in public is not an effective means of change. wal-mart has been shamed for their past hiring practices, making employees work overtime without paying for overtime, and a number of other ethical and moral problems they have. yet it's still the world's number one retailer. most people are willing to look the other way if they're getting a product they want at the price they want.

My way spreads knowlege that can be used as a foundation for change.
    all I see is bitching, with no offering of other solutions, there is absolutely no knowledge being spread in these posts that bitch about things. there are other television trackers out there, why not offer them as an alternative? start contributing at one of those, and encourage everyone else that has a problem to do the same.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    Firstly, there is a personal embarassment factor. Perhaps it doesn't bother tvip to see his name dragged through the mud all over the torrent scene, but it may make the next asshole mod think twice.

Secondly, take it from someone who has seen actual exoduses (FTN's split from ScT for example): it begins with users complaining about staff. Next, uploaders start getting pissed off (and this second stage has been reached at bitmetv, by the way). Finally other staff get pissed off, and use their far more considerable weight in the torrent community to affect change. It's a process, and I'm sorry it appears to you as just "bitching" unless either tvip or I leave immediately, but the real world doesn't work like that.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by lysine
    making someone look bad in public is not an effective means of change.
    I'll let the utter ridiculousness of this quote stand on it's own merit (or lack thereof). Are you seriously unaware of a single instance of a company being publicly shamed into corrective action?
    Last edited by Sentient; 03-01-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast