Thread: hey guys

Just signed up wondering if there was a way that we could turn the nzb index into a "nzbcast"? something that would automatically download say a specific show like top gear for everyweek. combine that with newsreader like newsleecher and we have almost a Tivo

i don't know if theres something fundamentally worng with what im saying, but if torrents can do it why can't we. I'd love to come home to a computer full of all the shows i watch without having to find them all.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Let me put it this way: One of the biggest jobs in getting TIVO to work several years ago, and all the other competition today (and remember, TIVO is almost bankrupt), and the very large amount of work that still continues to this day by the Tribune Company, is the catagorization of the programs. At least with TV, you're only talking about some 7-8 major networks and the 4500+ local stations, a relatively easy job compared to doing it for Usenet. Newzbin takes a hack at it, with some several thousand people sifting through the content.

Then you'd need some kind of filter mechanism to pull down what YOU are interested in. Again, Newzbin does a fair job, but in the last couple of years has slowly fallen behind due to the torrent (haha) of posted articles, even limiting it to sound/video/exe binary files. So far, they have some 110+ 'catagories', you can search within those or set up your own search parameters.

Several newsreaders have built-9in tools to do this, but one has to set it up/program the thing. Anyone care to speculate on how many multi-part files are posted each day?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    asfdlq3i45poi's Avatar Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    slowly fallen behind due to the torrent (haha) of posted articles
    I get it -- it's a pun; very funny.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    your taking my idea to the level where its hard to do i think,

i'm saying if we made an rss file for each show say csi, where we attach the nzb with all the sifting done... and have that auto download and open. kinda thing.

what if we did it and made a subscription site. i think its a decently profitiable idea?
    Last edited by sanjan; 02-28-2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    First, you're expecting the poster to actually do a bit of work; more than a bit of a stretch considering that the great majority don't even post nzb files, and that only takes moving the mouse a couple inches.

As far as 'profitable', it's probably illegal, in that it would get jumped on. The few boards that have tried to make even nzb d/l's a paying proposition have all been sued out of existance. Newzbin itself is under the microscope for at least the last couple of years, to where it's usability has been seriously compromised.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    what are nzb's?