Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How safe is downloading

thanks Broken you have een a great help, you have cleared up that for me an i now understand, cheers :-)

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    How safe is it to download from work through their proxy? I don't mean downloading material but I mean in terms of work noticing that you are downloading from newsgroups. I remember when some people got caught on KaZaa because of the upload traffic that was generated leaving work. It was that data leaving work that was noticed and not the downloaded data. Therefore, because I am only downloading from newsgroups, and not uploading, will it be safe? I already download large chunks of data (music from AllOfMP3, iso images of linux, etc) and it has gone unnoticed. Plus, I have a SSL account with my newsgroup provider, so would that help?

Also, would the same be true for IRC? I haven't really used that yet but I am looking into it.

Cheers.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Anyone that would tell you that downloading 'stuff' at work is a good idea is an ignorant fool. And anyone that does it deserves what they get.

It's not your computer, it's not your connection. There is no telling what is really going on there in the background. There is all kinds of tools a half decent IT guy can use to see if you're dicking around. If you value your position at all, don't do it. Don't use Usenet, don't use IRC, don't use Kazaa... just don't do it.

I don't think anyone can give you better advice than that.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Anyone that would tell you that downloading 'stuff' at work is a good idea is an ignorant fool. And anyone that does it deserves what they get.

It's not your computer, it's not your connection. There is no telling what is really going on there in the background. There is all kinds of tools a half decent IT guy can use to see if you're dicking around. If you value your position at all, don't do it. Don't use Usenet, don't use IRC, don't use Kazaa... just don't do it.

I don't think anyone can give you better advice than that.

Fair enough. Deep down I knew that already but I was just hoping there was safe way. I better upgrade my home broadband then.

Thanks.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Any unencrypted internet traffic can be intercepted by a third party, i.e. your internet provider. Although it is not widely practiced, and is arguably an invasion of privacy.

If you are super paranoid type, the use of SSL can set your worried mind at ease. For the most part it is an unnecessary add on that can bring an Usenet provider a extra source of income (Giganews) or a selling point to get ahead of the competition (Usenetserver).
    SSL is more that that. Many ISPs will throttle traffic on usenet. SSL will encrypt your traffic and in many cases get round ISP restrictions.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    has anyone encountered ISP providers actually spying on what you are downloading?

does anyone know the legalities in uk? i heard that you can get prosecuted for uploading but not downloading, is that true?

i heard that newsdemon are looking into ssl for their systems, anyone know if this is true or just a rumour?

thanks guys

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by A_T View Post
    Any unencrypted internet traffic can be intercepted by a third party, i.e. your internet provider. Although it is not widely practiced, and is arguably an invasion of privacy.

If you are super paranoid type, the use of SSL can set your worried mind at ease. For the most part it is an unnecessary add on that can bring an Usenet provider a extra source of income (Giganews) or a selling point to get ahead of the competition (Usenetserver).
    SSL is more that that. Many ISPs will throttle traffic on usenet. SSL will encrypt your traffic and in many cases get round ISP restrictions.
    Yep, mentioned that.

SSL encryption is only necessary if you have had problems with your ISP in the past. SSL is to hide what you are doing from them, for whatever reason. Whither it is because they are using some type of traffic shaping tools, or you just don't trust them to keep their noses out of your business. In all reality, most don't care.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    has anyone encountered ISP providers actually spying on what you are downloading?

does anyone know the legalities in uk? i heard that you can get prosecuted for uploading but not downloading, is that true?

thanks guys
    just wondered if anyone knew the answers to some of these questions?

9. Newsgroups   -   #19

thanks guys
    just wondered if anyone knew the answers to some of these questions?
    Comcast, a large US ISP did some spying not not long ago.
    Link Comcast spying

I can't advise you on UK law.
    In the US the RIAA/MPAA will not file a case against you in civil court because it would hard to prove any significant losses on their part from an individual downloading only. Plus if you are not sharing, they have no reason or way to obtain your information in the first place.

But that isn't to say that downloading copyrighted material isn't illegal. It's conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement (newer law) . But the MPAA/RIAA can't charge you with a crime in criminal court. It'd have to be the FBI, and this whole mess is something they have stayed out of but at the top levels (topsites).
    Last edited by Broken; 04-09-2007 at 04:04 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    Downloading IS safer than uploading, and I very have been posting for a number of years. Can anybody offer some examples (IE horror stories) otherwise, to give a more well rounded view?? -The G Man

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast