Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Zero Post "members"

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@9 July 2003 - 05:25
    How about this!
    After you hit your 100th post you have to pay a small yearly fee of $20.00 or something.
    This would most certainly cut down on spamming and help the board pay some bill's for bandwidth and board improvments.

I don't know....just batting around some idea's.
    What do you think?

All you'd get is about a billion members all sticking to 99 posts and then re-registering as someone else...

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #62
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote angellynn26:

Except for one little detail that many of you are overlooking. I have quite a few friends who are members of the forum, but don't post because they are AFRAID to! People on the forum tend to flame newbies, and yell at them for the same newbie mistakes that just about everyone makes. There is little tolerance here for people who do not have a degree in P2P language.

What I think the forum needs is a little more maturity and a little less newbie discriminating. If the forum were less threatening to speak in, there might not be so many people with zero post counts!

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing much less blatant rudeness, anal retentiveness, and sarcasm here... especially from big posters, they should know better. Newbie behavior is innocent of the ways of the forum... rude behavior by veteran posters is inexcuseable.[/QUOTE]
    Unquote:

Any truth in this? Excuse us then angellynn26. It is a little bit like running the gauntlet sometimes!

About the idea of when you reach a hundred posts; you HAVE to start paying, is to say the least a bit over the top. I think in retrospect that MagicNakor suggestion of a donation is better.

I am not convinced it would help the original problem of getting on the board. There are a lot of members

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #63
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by angellynn26@9 July 2003 - 04:43

Except for one little detail that many of you are overlooking.  I have quite a few friends who are members of the forum, but don't post because they are AFRAID to!  People on the forum tend to flame newbies, and yell at them for the same newbie mistakes that just about everyone makes.  There is little tolerance here for people who do not have a degree in P2P language.

What I think the forum needs is a little more maturity and a little less newbie discriminating.  If the forum were less threatening to speak in, there might not be so many people with zero post counts!

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing much less blatant rudeness, anal retentiveness, and sarcasm here... especially from big posters, they should know better.  Newbie behavior is innocent of the ways of the forum... rude behavior by veteran posters is inexcuseable.
    Only thing overlooked is the fact the newcomers fail to review any part of forum that provides hints, guidelines, instructions, etc. The same questions are asked over and over and over again and it becomes a bore to give repetitive answer. 99.99% of all newcomers questions have been asked and answered many times over, all it takes is a few minutes to utilize the "search" feature or poke around. Most just sign up and ask away, so most get the non-tolerated treatment. Not hard to click on search, is it? If so maybe they shouldn't be here.

It's not discrimination, it's called have some common sense. If you can read/fill in the registration field lines and click to sign up as a member, then there is no reason why a newcomer cannot fill in the search field and click to search.

If that cannot be done newbie behavior is not innocent of the ways of the forum, but mere laziness.
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #64
    Poster
    I'm going back quite a bit by saying this but all those "Zero" post's aren't only leechers. Some register at some time thinking the forum is sweet then maybe just maybe they make a few posts or even one and after a while forget about the forums they probadly even forget their username, password. So the reminder thing is a good idea not everyone bookmarks site they vist so after their account has not been active in a while a email can be sent informing them about the board and their account all of a sudden it will remind them about the board and they could be back. A lot of people probadly don't even know about the Verfieds section how are they supposded to when they can't see it so they don't register with those sections in mind, give them all a chance!

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #65
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    A few specific questions.....

Should we create a poll on what to do with zero post members ?

Does clicking a choice on a poll constitute a post ?

How much money does this board need to increase the number of users it can hold at one time ?

How much $ per member would it take to upgrade the message board bandwidth ?

How much in donations has been received so far ?

geothermal

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #66
    Whoaa, I have no idea what the heck you just said. You are smart. I hate math.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #67
    Poster
    I came, I saw, now I'll start posting. Just shy I guess.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #68
    Originally posted by CornerPocket@9 July 2003 - 08:15
    Only thing overlooked is the fact the newcomers fail to review any part of forum that provides hints, guidelines, instructions, etc. The same questions are asked over and over and over again and it becomes a bore to give repetitive answer. 99.99% of all newcomers questions have been asked and answered many times over, all it takes is a few minutes to utilize the "search" feature or poke around. Most just sign up and ask away, so most get the non-tolerated treatment. Not hard to click on search, is it? If so maybe they shouldn't be here.

It's not discrimination, it's called have some common sense. If you can read/fill in the registration field lines and click to sign up as a member, then there is no reason why a newcomer cannot fill in the search field and click to search.

If that cannot be done newbie behavior is not innocent of the ways of the forum, but mere laziness.
    yes, I realize this.. however, it IS awfully optimistic to think that everyone is going to read the FAQ's, etc.. because, let's face it, I've never been on a forum with so many RULES and REGULATIONS. Most people just assume that it is a forum like any other... you sign up, you post your question, you wait for an answer.

As for doing the search... THE FORMAT OF THE FORUM WEBPAGE IS A LITTLE OVERWHELMING! It takes some time spent on the forum before you even notice things like this... have some patience with new posters! Guide them to the light, DO NOT ABUSE THEM! AND... It is also common sense to treat people with courtesy, but if your mama did not teach you any manners, then I guess you lack a little common sense yourself!

As anal as everyone is about it, you should force people to read the FAQ by making them answer questions on a quiz and get, like 70% correct before they can complete their registration for the forum... then we could all stop listening to complaints about this n00b and that not taking the time to read the damn FAQ's!

Also, on the main webpage, www.k-lite.tk ... when you click on the forum button, you get a message before you enter that you should read the FAQ before entering. While that is allll good in theory, when you click on the forum button IN your Kazaa, it puts you right into the forum, WITHOUT that message. I dunno about most other people, but this is where I found the forum... NOT through the main webpage!

I was not specifically talking about the information you can get in the FAQ either. I am also referring to all of the people that go into posts, and resort to name calling and rudeness as a way to tell people "The Way It Is" in this forum. It is ENTIRELY uncalled for, retarded behavior, no matter how you look at it. My whole point was that a LOT of people do not post on the forum because of that. Not everyone will sit by and allow others to abuse them, so why should they bother to post? If you get on the forum and read n00b flame like this, I'm sorry but, most people are intimidated enough to not post, but only look around and get verifieds. I do not have an issue defending myself, but a lot of people refuse to even put themselves in that position.

And saying that people shouldn't be here if they can't do everything right from the first post... that is not only ridiculous of you to say, it is entirely UNREALISTIC. We all wish everyone would do things OUR way in this world, but don't you know that the wish is nothing more than wishful thinking?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567