Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many of you heard about this...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Also, to my knowledge, hate crimes are paltry when compared with overall murders and rapes.
    Oh, so, by all means, then...

No, wait - I take that back; I have absolutely no idea what you are attempting to convey, here.

* Whether this is the correct version or whether I should or shouldn't give 2 or even 3 shits, I could or couldn't give a shit. If one struggles with this wording then simply get some pussy to get your mind off grammar. However, If you think that there is something, possibly, in the world that you do give 9 shits about, feel free to use whatever the fuck comes to mind since, if you could or couldn't give a shit, it doesn't fucking matter....now does it? ANSWER ME MOTHERFUCKER!!!. Thanks, and fuck yo mama.
    This is what I meant when I said you "wear it on your sleeve".

Think in terms of, say, "don't ask, don't tell"...I don't really think we need to ask, do we?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post

I believe traditionally that's how convictions are handed down.
    I don't even know if there is a death penalty in Tenn.
    I can't imagine any scenario in which they would be found not-guilty(given the current evidence.)
    Unless Johnny Cochran gets involved...a not-guilty from beyond the grave might be able to trump the O.J verdict. Imagine the possibilities.
    I think you were answering my last. Convictions are based on "beyond reasonable doubt" and recent event have highlighted the fallibility of this standard.
    I'm repeating here but I support death as a punishment in principle, I just don't think our present system is tight enough to ensure only the guilty fry.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Given that polygraphy has no standing in a court of law, how do you propose to divine another's truest "intent" by patently non-scientific means?

You do believe in the scientific approach, don't you, Nigel?
    Probably the same way as "attempted" murder is dealt with.
    I had that in my post earlier but erased it.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 06-06-2007 at 02:28 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Oh, so, by all means, then...

No, wait - I take that back; I have absolutely no idea what you are attempting to convey, here.

Oh I was wondering why this meant so much to you when it's actually so rare.

* Whether this is the correct version or whether I should or shouldn't give 2 or even 3 shits, I could or couldn't give a shit. If one struggles with this wording then simply get some pussy to get your mind off grammar. However, If you think that there is something, possibly, in the world that you do give 9 shits about, feel free to use whatever the fuck comes to mind since, if you could or couldn't give a shit, it doesn't fucking matter....now does it? ANSWER ME MOTHERFUCKER!!!. Thanks, and fuck yo mama.
    This is what I meant when I said you "wear it on your sleeve".

Think in terms of, say, "don't ask, don't tell"...I don't really think we need to ask, do we?
    Don't ask what?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify

I believe traditionally that's how convictions are handed down.
    I don't even know if there is a death penalty in Tenn.
    I can't imagine any scenario in which they would be found not-guilty(given the current evidence.)
    Unless Johnny Cochran gets involved...a not-guilty from beyond the grave might be able to trump the O.J verdict. Imagine the possibilities.
    I think you were answering my last. Convictions are based on "beyond reasonable doubt" and recent event have highlighted the fallibility of this standard.
    I'm repeating here but I support death as a punishment in principle, I just don't think our present system is tight enough to ensure only the guilty fry.
    Unless you can remove all instances of humans being fallible than our system will never be tight(as you say) enough to ensure 100% certainty.

All(most)Americans accept and understand the Jury by Peers concept.
    This is the most Democratic...is it not?

If your looking for an infallible court system than you've lost before you've started.

I think if your gonna go down the road of "what if" as it pertains to the death penalty your probably better off being against it. Unless of course your convinced...but you see that doesn't matter unless your on the jury.

And even then it might not matter.
    It's a tricky situation indeed.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36

Unless you can remove all instances of humans being fallible than our system will never be tight(as you say) enough to ensure 100% certainty.

If your looking for an infallible court system than you've lost before you've started.

I think if your gonna go down the road of "what if" as it pertains to the death penalty your probably better off being against it. Unless of course your convinced...but you see that doesn't matter unless your on the jury.

They are many things that make it 95% infallible like video plus witnesses of the incident.

Being covered in the blood of the victim with the murderers DNA on and in the victim is pretty tight too.

There are other instances.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37

I'm very well aware of how the system works and its shortcomings which is why I lack confidence in justice being served reliably enough in capital cases.

Here's the point then. (in answer to the boldened)

If we can't prove without a doubt then we shouldn't be applying the death penalty. The innocent should not be wrongly executed because we can't achieve the standard. You may be fine with the chance being taken but I'm guessing that's as long as you or one of your loved ones are not the wrongly convicted person.

I support the death penalty, there are people that deserve to die. What I feel even stronger about is making sure only those people die and it's better to have them rot in prison for life than kill an innocent person.

Accepting, understanding and being "the most democratic" do not equal correct or just.
    despite your posts I do take it you want things to improve.......right ?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38

I'm very well aware of how the system works and its shortcomings which is why I lack confidence in justice being served reliably enough in capital cases.

Here's the point then. (in answer to the boldened)

If we can't prove without a doubt then we shouldn't be applying the death penalty. The innocent should not be wrongly executed because we can't achieve the standard. You may be fine with the chance being taken but I'm guessing that's as long as you or one of your loved ones are not the wrongly convicted person.

I support the death penalty, there are people that deserve to die. What I feel even stronger about is making sure only those people die and it's better to have them rot in prison for life than kill an innocent person.

Accepting, understanding and being "the most democratic" do not equal correct or just.
    despite your posts I do take it you want things to improve.......right ?
    What in you definition would be right and just?
    You can't remove the human element here...that's my main point.
    I would be against the death penalty for convicted Islamic Terrorists....because they want to die for Allah.

We're kind of cornered into accepting the trial by your peers set-up.
    This system isn't going to be overturned in a Democratic Republic.

Maybe if you could give me some changes you would like to make we could carry this into a deeper discussion. I'm all for that.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 06-06-2007 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Twin Peaks Soundtrak has me hypnotized.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Conviction is different from sentencing. Beyond reasonable doubt is good enough to convict but not good enough to justify death. No doubt whatsoever is needed before death can be applied.

There are cases where this is achieved, but IMO far too many where it is not.

My definition of right and just is where the margin of error is removed when it comes to sentencing. This is different from convicting.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Conviction is different from sentencing. Beyond reasonable doubt is good enough to convict but not good enough to justify death. No doubt whatsoever is needed before death can be applied.

There are cases where this is achieved, but IMO far too many where it is not.

My definition of right and just is where the margin of error is removed when it comes to sentencing. This is different from convicting.

Conviction is different from sentencing,of course.
    What sentence is handed down is purely up to the judges discretion(as the law allows) as well as whatever precedence there is for such a sentence.

As far as a sentence for death the precedence would be a moot point having no practical need for discussion..as in...there have been countless death sentences handed down.

Certain situations may warrant certain factorial discussion,but the end is still someone was killed.
    If you believe, beyond the reasonable doubt,that someone killed someone what would be the argument for not handing down a death sentence other than the insanity plea..which is almost impossible to prove in our modern court system,and as I've said earlier, when they want to die for Allah.

As you've said before some have been executed who were indeed innocent..I don't refute that.
    But it is an accepted rule in our society that you go before a jury of your peers and they have the power of conviction.
    I'm not quite sure how there could be a better way. As j2k4 stated... polygraphs are inadmissible in court.

Again, the human element is at play always.
    You can either accept that or find some Utopian scenario which in the end will leave far more unsatisfied and angry than the current system.

That and in such a system the Gov. would undoubtedly have complete control and that is tantamount to a very,very,dangerous situation.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast