Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    This would be like FTD then?
    Naw, not that... 'obtuse' I guess is the correct word. KISS (keep it simple).

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    or the built-in search function in my newsreader (uses indexing on Giganews) to generate the nzb's.
    What newsreader is that if you didn't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher25 View Post
    hmm, sp0ngeb0b, I get more accurate and reliable speeds from usenetserver (5+ Mbps) than giganews. and it's cheaper. just my thought.
    That might be true. I was testing usenetserver from a 100mbps server in .eu with ~110ms latency. That might be part of it. When I go back to school here in a few weeks, I'll probably try them again since I'll have 100mbps here in the states.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by sp0ngeb0b View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fletcher25 View Post
    hmm, sp0ngeb0b, I get more accurate and reliable speeds from usenetserver (5+ Mbps) than giganews. and it's cheaper. just my thought.
    That might be true. I was testing usenetserver from a 100mbps server in .eu with ~110ms latency. That might be part of it. When I go back to school here in a few weeks, I'll probably try them again since I'll have 100mbps here in the states.
    ahh, I sure miss those school Ethernet accounts. esp internet2 networks

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    I've used News Rover for well over 10+ years; it has quirks, the updates have been pretty slow the last couple years (really, not that much to 'fix', there's just a couple things I'd like changed). I take a look at others occasionally, but just a couple hours with any of them leaves me deleting the things. I would say on average about 300-600GB/month transfered, if my Giganews stats are true. The machine it's on is almost as old, a P3/700Mhz/512M but with 320GB of HD. Smallest/Slowest machine I have. But does the job, leaving the 'important' work to 'others'!

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    My NSP has recently reduced its block pricing and increased retention to 100 days. So I see this as a good thing from Giganews as its rivals will have to move to combat this. Giganews is the best but being an ex member I feel they are far too pricey. I for one am prepared to take a drop in retention for a price cut. I am such a skin flint.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    It all depends on what your tolerance is for missing parts, old posts, etc., and how much your time is worth. I did the 'due diligence' on several other major providers before I went with them (for a month or two) and came to the conclusion that the $10/month cost difference for the dozen or so discs I missed getting because of poor completion no matter how much time I spent searching on every server, it wasn't worth it.

Now, if one d/l's much less, then yes. I have to admit that I don't do as much as I did a couple years ago, but I've given up on the 'scene' releases and other recoded (sometimes with a large hammer) and the like pretty much.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Thanks Beck38, I'll check News Rover out. And I have to second Giganews' completion. I very rarely have to resort to PARS to repair downloads. While it used to be expected years ago, now it's almost a neusense to have to repair downloads since they're few and far between.

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Thanks Beck38, I'll check News Rover out. And I have to second Giganews' completion. I very rarely have to resort to PARS to repair downloads. While it used to be expected years ago, now it's almost a neusense to have to repair downloads since they're few and far between.
    I have to relate a 'funny' at least it is to me... I got to retire VERY early some 5 years ago, at age 50 (thank Alcatel every day!), so my time, as I explain to folks, is basically worth zero, goose egg. Had to make some financial adjustments (sold my expensive home that was literally 3 blocks from work, used the profit to buy something outright but just 3 miles away and actually nicer for my purposes right now), but the upshot is how much hassle it is was chasing the fills.

I made a 'decision' that buying (at retail) any standard def dvd's was highly stupid, and that the HD versions were at the same level of development as dvd's were circa late 90's, i.e., poorly authored, generally lousy transfers, and the players generally 1st/2nd generation pathetic. Of course, that doesn't mean the reviewers arn't gushing all over the place how 'great' the HD releases are. But no thanks for perhaps another 5 years, meanwhile there are lots of 'stuff' that won't be released in HD for years and years (there are SD dvd's releases that are just now coming out that have never been on disc, 10 years after dvd's first came out!).

So, like the Stones tune, 'time is on my side'. As long as I don't drop dead on the sidewalk anytime soon, and my health has improved every year since retirement, so...

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    Poster
    ah well - it looks like Newzbin is aware of the general increase in retentions and is upgrading, but no estimate of when it'll be in place

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    Quote Originally Posted by BigH View Post
    ah well - it looks like Newzbin is aware of the general increase in retentions and is upgrading, but no estimate of when it'll be in place
    What they've done in the past (and I think if you read the press release carefully) is that the files dropping off into the bit bucket simply stop until the aforementioned limit is reached. So, you'll notice that the retention slowly increases, i.e., say it's at 90 days/3 months so as of today, files posted on april 16th are still available (90 days back).

Normally, as of tomorrow, they'd drop off into the bit bucket, but with the increased storage, they don't, until around November. That's how the retention increases; they can't 'go back' and retrieve things that have already been deleted, as no one has more retention than they do.

I sometimes keep the nzb's of 'important' things (usually tv show multiples) so I can go back and see with my search engine how far back things are still 'hanging on'. As of right this day, the retention appears to go back to April 8th, some 98 days, on the binary groups; that's just a estimate/guess though, the actual may of course be different, group to group.

Now I'll watch that point/file and see when it 'drops off' into the bit bucket, and that will be the cliff point at which things are being deleted; if the new news release is right, it should be around the end of October... SO we shall see as it increases!

So it's 'in place' now, will just take a few months to 'fill up'.
    Last edited by Beck38; 07-16-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast