Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Reasons Not To Be Afraid Of The Riaa

Originally posted by xlokix@27 July 2003 - 02:37
    how can they target people who download tv shows and movies? i thought they're objective was mp3's...i dont know much but i dont think they will target people for movies and tv shows, for 1, theres no way you can get a tv show, and u dont pay for the tv show so i dont know why its illegal to download something thats free in the first place

movies are another story
    watch a tv show til the very end and you will see a little copyright sign. This means that only whoever copyrighted it and only them can decide when it is copied and shown. where the riaa fits in, no clue, I think they are just pissed at the blaten disregard of copyright law all around.

2. File Sharing   -   #62
    just wondering, can you get used for owning classical music? my provider is comcast, and i've been hearing that if you have over 100 mp3's you can get... busted? I have 26 classical songs and 99 other songs, just might be my luck

3. File Sharing   -   #63
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i dont think classical music is copyrighted.

i know in europe the copyright only lasts 50 years so

4. File Sharing   -   #64
    Ok quick question about IP addresses:

If the RIAA gets an IP that is false, I'm under the impression that they can't do anything correct? Anyway, what I'm getting at is this: America Online gives its users fake IPs, and a different fake IP each time they sign on. So does this mean that AOL users are safe in the first place? I was just curious.

5. File Sharing   -   #65
    I would assume that the AOl servers hafta talk to your real IP sooner or later so they(AOL) would hafta have a list somewhere that tells there servers that this fake IP is really the other one..I think the fake ip is just to help on spam. RIAA would just suppena AOL for that list....and match your fake one to yours...unless the fake ip changes day to day...

I know that these two providers have been hit..Comcast and XO communications...(whoever in the hell that is).....I guess we could do an informal polland see if anyone can list any more

6. File Sharing   -   #66
    Originally posted by vaughn_le@6 July 2003 - 15:42

I mean come on, a CD for 15 bucks? I can sing the damn song for free! They should've just sell each title for like 50 cent or something other than rippin the consumers off.
    I'm not standing up for the record companies or anything but only like 8% of the cd's they release each year make enough profit for the company to run. The reason to this is because that lots of people don't bother paying for music. So i guess its pretty hard to sell cds for 50cents each.

***I think that everyone should just shut up. For people who argue that cds are too expensive, thats because not enough people buy cds so that they could be sold for 50cents each and make a profit. Maybe you could go out and buy a cd for the first time in your life.
    And for people who are selling the cds at a rip off price, well you can shut up too because you're selling cds at a rip off price.***

7. File Sharing   -   #67
    [FONT=Arial] anybody hear about epix giving out there subscribers ips yet? cuz uh.. if they have there's one more person off the kazaa network

8. File Sharing   -   #68
    Is SBC/AOL giving out their user's IPs yet

Also, i have a question about peer guardian, how come every second i keep on getting attacked by frikin' adelphia ( arent they some cable company?)

9. File Sharing   -   #69
    oh yea and read this forgot about it

Do you download MP3’s? If so the R.I.A.A. may have a nasty surprise up it’s sleeve for you. They have hired several software companies to come up with ways to effect swappers computers. Tactics could include attacks that slow or even halt a computers internet connection, and drastically increasing the flood of fake files on P2P networks. Also in the works maybe MP3’s that when played open a users internet browser and send them to a web page selling digital media, or a page that informs them of the laws they are breaking. The most alarming of the new assaults on P2P is the “lock up” plan. This would somehow embed code into digital media that would lock up a users P.C. for a period of time. This could be a few minutes, a few days or even weeks. Restarting the machine could cause loss of data. The R.I.A.A. could really cause damage to an already tarnished image, if they go ahead with this plan. Biting the hand that feeds you has long been considered a risky business move at best. Many of these plans on the drawing board would require changes in the law that allow organizations like the R.I.A.A. and M.P.A.A. to attack file swappers computers without risk of breaking the law. Many feel that the next move in this online copyright cyber war will be these firms going after users. Since last month a California judge ruled that file-sharing services Grokster and Morpheus were not guilty of copyright infringement

quite scary about the fakes on kazaa but how would they attach these programs to songs? i think there just bluffing i got it from http://www.kazaalinkz.com/modules.php?name...=article&sid=37

10. File Sharing   -   #70
    Poster
    they disable my machines and i'll disable their life supply

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast