Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Fast Should A 1.5mb Line Be?

Tormentor's Avatar Searching The People
    Originally posted by gamer@22 June 2003 - 13:30
    i've got a 1.5mbps cable line and i oftem see 200-350kbps in normal downloads. when it comes to kazaa lite i've seen 1000kbps (1mbps) on a single file from 3 sources. i must have got lucky. i wish i would download that fast on normal downloads.
    That I cant believe
    - Unleash The Power Of The Wii, Unlock It Today!
    http://www.castabet.net

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by andrewlamb098+25 June 2003 - 10:10--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (andrewlamb098 @ 25 June 2003 - 10:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gamer@22 June 2003 - 13:30
    i&#39;ve got a 1.5mbps cable line and i oftem see 200-350kbps in normal downloads. when it comes to kazaa lite i&#39;ve seen 1000kbps (1mbps) on a single file from 3 sources. i must have got lucky. i wish i would download that fast on normal downloads.
    That I cant believe [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s possible if he manages to find 3 sources with webserver-class connections.

He must have gotten very lucky.

Remember he is talking in Kb/s, not KB/s.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    There is always a difference, between what they offer and what you actually get.

Here the difference is enough to make a query possibly worth while. Try first a few different speed tests.

Lucky you that you don&#39;t have to pay the bill yourself&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    I think you&#39;ll find DU meter a bit more reliable than a lot of these bandwidth online tests and it appears that kazaa reports the cached data which might explain outrageously high figures. If something slows the disk writes, you&#39;ll see the numbers jump a fair bit when they start to catch up.

This link image below shows just what a scam these tests can be. This one is sponsored by my ISP in many ads. The physical plant was built to handle about 2 mbps off the fiber hub. On fiber of course you&#39;d see higher but that just doesn&#39;t happen around here with residential service. It reminds me of old cartoons where the power or telephone lines would "bulge" as someone shouted or blasted some sort of power through the line.

questionable results

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Thanks for the tip, I have got it now &#33;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12