Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Would Riaa Be Stupid Enough To Use Its Own Ips

BANNED

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Originally posted by adthomp@27 June 2003 - 08:40
    Who Gives A Fuck?
    Al don't got broadband, why should he?

I do and don't feel like getting some fuck ass letter or losing my broadband.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Protester
    The big shots of the Music Industry threat to sue all file sharing users.

Lets's BOYCOTT the Music Industry and NOT BUY ANY CD for at least ONE YEAR.

Let's see what they think about that.

We can do it. Let's roll...

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Originally posted by adthomp@27 June 2003 - 07:33
    well i've successfully used pg to block connections from the mpaa, riaa and overpeer (when trading files) specifically so as far as there being no proof (i didn't get notification from my isp) i'm not sure what you mean and as far as the right ips that depends upon the sources you use- having said all that you would be better off importing the ips into your firewall (pg just blocks tcp/icp connections) but not everyone has that option and i'm not individually entering in each range- that's just a waste of time. so there's no need to bash what you don't understand- anyone can go around calling things crap...as for innocent ppl being blocked that's pretty funny...is it your intent to discourage ppl from taking steps to protect themselves from anti p2p groups? coz your words above say that pretty clearly...
    Im not gonna argue your right I coundt care less any RIAA member can get onto any IP address and we wouldnt know! PG has to many faults and we dont even know if it works
    lol

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    HOLY SH!T !! I've bin using peer gaurdian for about 2 minutes and its forcefully closed 4 ip's 3 from the riaa and 1 from mediaforce, although i'm probably asking for trouble using a usernam like "menacetotheriaa" B)

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    I think that the point that was being made was this:

You leave PG running overnight

PG says "1 000 000 000 connections forcefully closed from Satan"

how do you know that these connections were Satan? were they not just me trying to get that file off you? I am using speedup tool set to find more sources every second...therefore my program tries to connect to you every second, so every second there is another connection forcefully closed.

BUT: and this is the awkward bit, you see a lot of connections, and decide that this is a fantastic piece of software, so you make sure you keep updating the list. The more you increase the list, the more you block....A vicious circle?
    <insert signature here>

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@28 June 2003 - 09:37
    I think that the point that was being made was this:

You leave PG running overnight

PG says "1 000 000 000 connections forcefully closed from Satan"

how do you know that these connections were Satan? were they not just me trying to get that file off you? I am using speedup tool set to find more sources every second...therefore my program tries to connect to you every second, so every second there is another connection forcefully closed.

BUT: and this is the awkward bit, you see a lot of connections, and decide that this is a fantastic piece of software, so you make sure you keep updating the list.&nbsp; The more you increase the list, the more you block....A vicious circle?
    The bogus &#39;satan block&#39; for instance is a case where you might want to learn a little more about your software before you use it -- especially any software that can deny/allow access to the internet. You can do simple research on ip ranges and company &#39;ownership&#39; (actually leashes) of those ranges. If you find out that/those ips are owned by Hell Inc, you might want to leave them.

Peer Guardian bad ranges are often removed -- sometimes within hours of posting. So it&#39;s just a matter of reading a little about what ranges they deem &#39;bad&#39; and keeping up-to-date.
    Blocking virus-infected sources is another issue -- they may EVENTUALLY get antivirus software and remove the viruses they have, but do you want to take a chance with a remote auto-infector virus? (Btw, even misnamed multimedia files can in fact be vbs viruses -- as I unfortunately found out when I downloaded a MP3 file.)

Your statement is more or less the same as saying that running lots of different antivirus software (like 10 different brands at once) tends to bog a system down. (No doubt they might also see each other&#39;s virus scan libraries as VIRUSES themselves and go nuts too...) Likewise, you also can&#39;t install an old antivirus program and expect it to offer good protection against the latest-and-greatest.

Peer Guardian&#39;s block lists are no different.
    Even Kazaa Lite++ sort of operates on the same principle -- retrying often-dead ip addresses for files that may have been unshared over half a year ago. I&#39;ve started cleaning out my unfinished DATs if they make no progress after a couple days/weeks. Better to be searching again for the LIVE connections than, or at least retrying the connections I got SOME data from, than those dead ones&#33; That behavior would trigger Peer Guardian&#39;s block routines over and over again if it falls in a blocked range -- disabling Peer Guardian for a short bit and retrying that download could quickly tell you if it&#39;s &#39;live&#39; or not.

OT: If your speedup is hammering a single connection at the rate of once a second, (or worse yet, every second for every file you&#39;re trying to download from it) your ip should be permanently banned by that connection anyway. (Not saying you&#39;re doing this, but this behavior shouldn&#39;t be tolerated as it is hard on the network in a major way.) Finding more sources every second may be sending lots of traffic through the supernodes you&#39;re connected to but it should not be flooding the current list of sources you already have for a file -- it should only be retrying them about once a minute. The difference is, the supernodes have a persistant ip connection with you to transfer information -- like a very slow file transfer in the background. But download attempts make a NEW ip connection every time -- almost like a port scanning attack (new connection attempts will even orginate from a different ip port each time) or packet flood... just the magnitude is typically smaller. If you&#39;re the only one doing it, YOU get &#39;rewarded&#39; with faster downloads at the network&#39;s expense -- but if lots of people are doing it the bandwidth used up becomes SO significant that it may be slowing lots of connections down. This is why the autosearchmore settings were changed from a &#39;permanently on&#39; search till you stopped it to a &#39;search for x minutes&#39; -- because it was hard on the network and wasn&#39;t even particularly beneficial to the user searching longer than 10 minutes in most cases anyhow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12