Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-file Sharing Law Starts Today

i download movies all the damn time...just move your files to a different folder

FUCK FUCK FUCK THE RIAA

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Puzzleman2004
    I see a few of you are wondering why the government doesn't just outlaw video tapes while there at it. The truth is they already tried to back in the early 80's, but most people don't remember it. A suit was brought against sony, claiming that their betamax VCR's were an aid to copyright infringement. sony's lawyers won by argueing that people recoriding broadcasts were not infringing copyright laws, but simply "timeshifting" the broadcasts. If you want to know more about the case, this URL should be helpful

Home Recording Rights Coalition

Personally I think that we should use this case as a basis for the way we deal with online piracy. Any material that has ever been broadcasted should be allowed to be copied and downloaded as much as people care to. If it is legal for the material we are downloading to be attained, for free, by other means, then why should these means be illegal? the answer is, they shouldn't. It's not that we are stealing music, it's just that our "Timeshifting" skills have increased tremendously. In my opinion, as soon as the music is broadcast over an unencrypted channel, it's fair game for anyone to own a copy of.

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    I agree with that.
    They are holding history and culture hostage to some extent.
    Some programs never are released for public distribution or sale which should be a crime in itself.
    I waited a hell of a long time to buy the Nirvana unplugged video for example. Finally had to take advantage of other resources to get a program that should have been widely available based on popularity alone.
    There's $20+ they'll never see from me.

Oh, and, have you ever tried to order a video from blockbuster or some other seller? Waiting..... waiting.............. !

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Originally posted by balamm@29 June 2003 - 06:49
    It's all copyrighted unless it's been released by the owner. Like home made music and video might be OK, subject to the content laws of your country of course.
    Home made video are OK, right? Home made video as in video that the creator made themselve posted on the Kazaa...
    Because I didn't download any file like The Hulk and Movie and stuff...
    What about Anime? Is their a law to not download anime episode from Kazaa now?

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rocka@29 June 2003 - 09:35
    What about Anime? Is their a law to not download anime episode from Kazaa now?
    Anime is copyrighted, but often copyrighted only in Japan.

Plus, if it was broadcast on tv, they don't seem to mind as much if it's shared online.

I've heard of rare instances of US tv shows being shared in the US causing trouble for the US sharers, but never for those outside the US.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Can the music industry also sue people outside of the US, as in other countries?

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    how can the music industry find and sue all the millions of members on kazaa???

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    mr mong
    I guess they'll settle for making a few examples of people, and try and scare everyone else off.

re the taping off TV broadcasts, dunno what it is for the US, but I'm pretty certain I read in the paper ages ago that technically you're obliged to wipe any TV recordings you've made after 24 hrs of watching it. Just another of those unenforcable laws I suppose.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    BANNED
    Originally posted by theteenager@29 June 2003 - 13:28
    Can the music industry also sue people outside of the US, as in other countries?
    no i belive only us in the us have the pleasure of dealing with this bogus, double standard mfrs, if i ever see anybody that word for the iraa in a dark ally,well lets just say that the riaa would be one person short the next day

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Originally posted by mr mong@29 June 2003 - 23:37
    I guess they'll settle for making a few examples of people, and try and scare everyone else off.

re the taping off TV broadcasts, dunno what it is for the US, but I'm pretty certain I read in the paper ages ago that technically you're obliged to wipe any TV recordings you've made after 24 hrs of watching it. Just another of those unenforcable laws I suppose.
    Oh no!
    Does this mean that I can see no more of Clarke Kent, more importantly of Lana Lang!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast