Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dumb Ass Question About Copyright

clocker I loved reading that thanks

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    My original point was really that copyright 'theft' is nothing new, ever since stereo systems and VHS machines went on general sale people have been duplicating and using and sharing copyrighted material.

To me the illegality is something of a technicality, the argument being that by using p2p you are making the files available to others - ie you are distributing them. But de facto so is a radio station when it plays a song, anyone anywhere who can pick up the signal can copy that track. The whole thing is bull*hit.

I'm not saying p2p is legal but it is a fact that college students and the like don't have the financial means to buy themselves a decent defence. I wonder if OJ Simpson uses p2p !

The truth is Sony ( for example ) have done just as much to facilitate the duplication of copyright material as any p2p network yet I don't see the RIAA taking them to court.

Spurious in some respects but the underlying point is still valid - does the Chairman of the RIAA have any taped films in his house - did he once tape his favourite Clint Eastwood movie off the TV ? - is anyone suing him for it ? Didn't he just make a duplicate of copyrighted material ? suppose he lent it to his friend the Vice Chairman of the RIAA, that is distribution of copyright material. Illegal. Sue him.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234