Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer ideas for the elderly?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I'm looking for PC ideas for an elderly man (89 yrs old) who keeps fucking up his current computer. My parents are tired of having to pay to get his computer cleaned up and/or reformatted every few months because he can't stop getting viruses and generally bogging the thing down with everything you can think of. I spoke to my Dad this afternoon; he said when he went over there yesterday the computer had, wait for it...... six different anti-virus programs installed on it as well as the 'As Seen On TV' software from 'speedupmypc.com'.

I was thinking maybe an iPad might be just the thing for him since all he needs is the internet, but he has a condition where one of his hands shakes a lot and the touch screen just wouldn't work.

What about one of those Samsung Chromebooks? I figure that would probably be just the thing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PS - It doesn't have to be a laptop, a desktop is just as fine.
    Last edited by Skiz; 08-30-2011 at 09:24 PM.

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    The Chrome OS is relatively new and still has only a small software support base, so this probably won't be a good option. For a couple of reasons have you considered a Mac. The first reason is there are virtually no virus or malware programs that affect MacOS, but also the OS is far more locked down that Windows and therefore harder to break since it is fairly difficult to get under the hood and tinker.
    Another reason is that OSX is relatively easy to learn and is intuitive, new users by and large find it easy to adapt to. There is of course also the wide range of software available and with Parallels the ability to run Windows based applications in a virtualbox within OSX without having to reboot the computer.
    If you purchased a Mac Mini, then you could use the existing keyboard/mouse (if they are USB) and screen and probably the other peripherals as well.
    Last edited by Artemis; 08-30-2011 at 09:37 PM.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I'm looking for PC ideas for an elderly man (89 yrs old) who keeps fucking ... his current computer. My parents are tired of having to pay to get his computer cleaned up ... because he can't stop ... bogging the thing
    That's pretty gross

On another note, I'm guessing he just needs a browser, right? What about an Ubuntu Live setup. You can't mess up the installation, literally. I mean they're all the same when you just open up a browser window, and you don't have to waste all that money on overpriced hardware. He's old, and by the time he kicks there will be newer better tech so you won't want his, not to mention his electrosexual habits.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Our shop has several customers who are very similar to yours, repeatedly screwing up their PCs.

The only successful "fix" we've found (and it's only been implemented in one case) involved installing two identical drives in the machine, one a clone of the other.
    The cloned drive is disconnected after the Ghosting, but left in place.
    We store an image of the clone at the shop.

When the machine becomes unusable (anywhere from two weeks to a few months), the caregiver (his mother) simply opens the PC and reconnects the imaged drive and brings the original in to us, where we wipe it and reinstall the original image. The drive then goes back in as the backup drive and the whole process begins anew.

It's not a perfect solution but works for them (and us).

The hard truth is that some folks are just never going to be capable computer users...they are destined to always be confused and have crap running machines.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    CQ1ST's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    That chromebook looks seriously cool! (love the boot time)

personally, I'd install linux and tell him nothing about how it works other than "this is the web-browser and video-player" (firefox+various adblock subscriptions+flashblock,VLC), or a remastered puppy-linux cd a little like mjmacky suggested

> what kind of computer+os does he have right now?

(+LOL@ he has a hella-shaky right hand and kills windows every few months with browser-transmitted-diseases)
    Last edited by CQ1ST; 08-31-2011 at 01:16 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I also agree with Linux being a cheap option and relatively easy to configure/quite hard to kill. It just depends whether the person making the decision wants to buy a box that will replace/solve the problem or configure a Linux distro to do the job.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    it might not hurt to investigate some of those spill-proof keyboards.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Sometimes the performance of system becomes slower due to the infection of virus in the computer system. To over come this problem computer system requires a repair so that it can function normally as it was performing earlier.Better format PC and install new software and anti virus in it to safeguard it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Our shop has several customers who are very similar to yours, repeatedly screwing up their PCs.

The only successful "fix" we've found (and it's only been implemented in one case) involved installing two identical drives in the machine, one a clone of the other.
    The cloned drive is disconnected after the Ghosting, but left in place.
    We store an image of the clone at the shop.

When the machine becomes unusable (anywhere from two weeks to a few months), the caregiver (his mother) simply opens the PC and reconnects the imaged drive and brings the original in to us, where we wipe it and reinstall the original image. The drive then goes back in as the backup drive and the whole process begins anew.

It's not a perfect solution but works for them (and us).

The hard truth is that some folks are just never going to be capable computer users...they are destined to always be confused and have crap running machines.
    Have you ever tried one of those "deep freeze" installations of windows? Not sure if that's the corerct name or just the name used by a specific brand, but we used to have that on the computers in high school. Basically it restores the computer to a certain state each time it is restarted. I could install/uninstall all I wanted on the thing and when I restart it would all be back to how it started.

edit: http://www.faronics.com/enterprise/deep-freeze/

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post

Have you ever tried one of those "deep freeze" installations of windows? Not sure if that's the corerct name or just the name used by a specific brand, but we used to have that on the computers in high school. Basically it restores the computer to a certain state each time it is restarted. I could install/uninstall all I wanted on the thing and when I restart it would all be back to how it started.

edit: http://www.faronics.com/enterprise/deep-freeze/
    That is an interesting solution tesco, I have used streamlined OS installs to configure specific machines/types of machine so that a PC can be taken back to a known good install stage but of course this means a reinstallation process. Deep freeze seems an elegant solution for computer vandals, and would be similar in effect to using a live linux distro but user data would be kept.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast