Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Poster
    Euthanasia : For it, but again only by a hair...you know which one.

The medical profession has no business ending life, conversely they have no business prolonging the inevitability of death as to leave one a rotting undignified corps in some hospital bed.
    (wich by the way happens quite regularly in our wonderfull Heath care sytem).

Physicians end life quite regularly when they take people off ventilators.
    They also make decisions in the ER as to whether or not to resuscitate.
    But alas, most of these people are not around to argue to the contrary.
    They may be veggies.

All these decisions are based on personal experiency skill, and (the big one) circumstance. Their decisions are not always the right ones.

The concious individual is a very different matter. You need a set of circumstances
    in a controled environment with the right set of medical problems and a firm understanding of them.
    You need a great deal of consensus among patient, family, and of course physician.
    Ending a life should never be taken lightly.
    The Individual ultimately has the right to terminate his or her life whether you or I can accept/like, or lump it. What are you gonna do about it?
    Very rarely is pain totally uncontrolable. 99 % of the time Pain is controlable to an exceptable degree, but it is that 1 % that we are refering to.

Had a stroke and can't speek or move your body or are cognitively impaired? you don't have hope in hell of making a decision for yourself without a living will, or a loved one who truly knows your hearts whishes.

So, my answer is yes doctors can take life to ease suffering, but you have to have the right set of circumstances and the consensus of a well informed patient & family. Responsible counseling for all involved and a search for alternatives.

Euthanasia has it's place, but "fuck" if politics don't always end up getting invoved.

Politics & religion are truly our doom.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Neil__@9 July 2003 - 08:23

J2k4
    I doubt the human race will rush to death like lemmings
    but if it does then self regulation is already here.
    I have the right to take my life now.
    Why wait for the Beaurocrats we only need them for "getting help to die".

Neil
    I don't think I was saying that at all; just the opposite, in fact.

Your last is the operative condition: We have the ability to euthanize privately now-the only reasons I can think of to seek government sanction of this as a "right" would be to somehow retain the rights to life insurance proceeds (the "fraud" issue; a biggie) or to somehow get "right with God".

Never mind separation of Church and State, here; the legal system has been pimped for any number of causes to which it has no rightful entree.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Poster
    the legal system has been pimped for any number of causes to which it has no rightful entree.
    I'll concur with that. Hell of an insurance mess.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Poster
    j2k4
    the insurance industry would have to rewrite it's contracts that true but I think they'll manage. they have several lifetimes history at tying things up in words.

Also the church has interfered in death far too much already for my liking
    so I would prefer the impossible, and that is, they keep out.

can't imagine anything more endless than dragging the church into life issues.

Neil.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Originally posted by Neil__@10 July 2003 - 13:10
    j2k4
    the insurance industry would have to rewrite it's contracts that true but I think they'll manage. they have several lifetimes history at tying things up in words.

Also the church has interfered in death far too much already for my liking
    so I would prefer the impossible, and that is, they keep out.

can't imagine anything more endless than dragging the church into life issues.

Neil.
    You can't imagine anything more endless; the lawyers and solicitors can't imagine anything more lucrative.

An attorney is to a religion case as a mouse is to cheese.

They seek to set a precedent for religion impacting euthanasia; once this is achieved, it will be a part of every case to ever go to court, whether it actually exists or not.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    If we could hang all the Lawyers, i'd change my mind Re: Capital Punishment

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    Poster
    Lawyers are the king's of the endless argument
    and their the only ones who could be arsed.
    especially when there paid by the hour.

Neil

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    I run my jib pretty good and I write okay; I think I'll be a lawyer, too.

Oh, fuck-

Forgot about conscience.

Oh, well.....

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Poster
    Conscience only counts up to £50k per year.
    Or did I hear that while passing a law school.

Neil

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by TheDave@8 July 2003 - 10:15
    if i was completely retarded, id wanna die

nothing against em, but i wouldnt want to be a burden
    I think you need to visit a special needs school m8,just to observe the "retarded" and see if they wanna die.In my experience they seem to have an inner happiness that`s so easily disregarded when you`re caught up in the trials of everyday life.
    They certainly don`t look like they wanna die..........like i said, just a personal observation

cheers,
    Bass

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast