Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB 3.0 brings optical connection in 2008

USB3 won't be achieving the top speed most of the time USB speeds are very inconsistent it's rated at 480MBPs but a lot of the time you don't even get a tenth of that.

It's still all about ethernet and SATA since they can maintain constant speeds and are evolving also.

2. News (Archive)   -   #22
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    that should really speed up transfer rates through external drives at least !
    USB 3.0 possible tranfer speeds would transfer a 27GB HD movie to a portable device in 70 seconds ! The same thing would take 15 minutes or more with HighSpeed USB (2.0) ! The SuperSpeed devices will use the same connectors and the same programming and device models as existing devices !
    and it's all backwards compatible too !!

3. News (Archive)   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by DooMeD68 View Post
    The SuperSpeed devices will use the same connectors and the same programming and device models as existing devices !
    and it's all backwards compatible too !!
    Nope, the new connection will be optical, so it won't use the same connectors or be backwards compatible. Whether it uses the same programming remains to be seen, but don't expect throughput to be very high if it does.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. News (Archive)   -   #24
    DooMeD68's Avatar Domain Of Sutekh
    maybe i was a little vague the way i wrote my post LYNX ! sorry m8 ! USB 3.0 will incorporate some serious new hardware in the form of fiber optic lines embedded in the connector alongside the current copper wiring. Since the basic structure of the connectors will remain the same, you’ll still be able to plug your USB 2.0 devices into USB 3.0 ports.
    that's what i meant by backwards compatibility !

5. News (Archive)   -   #25
    ghepard112's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Great News!thx

6. News (Archive)   -   #26
    toti's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    thanks for info

7. News (Archive)   -   #27
    Fiber optic . . i like the speed, but hope the cables are flexible enough

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123