Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?best Computer?

Originally posted by aintgottime@10 July 2003 - 11:56
    $1,000 dollars for that DELL machine is expensive!! I would have expected a monitor in with that price! I still say if you look around enough and take your time its cheaper to build one from scratch!
    Show me how you figure.+

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Abit IS7-E 'Springdale' (Socket 478) Motherboard (MB-034-AB) 70 quid
    Intel P4 300 quid
    256MB Corsair DDR400 ram 45 quid
    LG GCE-8520BB 52x CD-RW Drive - OEM (CD-001-LG) 35 quid
    Connect3D ATI Radeon 9200 128Mb DDR DVI-I/TV-OUT - Retail (GX-011-CO) 65quid
    IBM 180GXP 61.4GB UDMA100 - OEM (HD-009-IB) 50 quid
    CPU cooler 30 quid (didn't bother finding a particular one)
    case 70 quid again can't be arsed
    Keyboard and mouse 15 quid
    floppy drive 10quid
    NB mobo has built in 6.1 audio and 10/100 network card

comes out at about 690 quid which is about 1100 dollars, admittedly overbudget, but could get better prices and better components it was just to prove that it wasn't that much of a bargain. plus i think this setup may have a better graphics card, mobo, hard drive, a faster cd burner and it has a network card.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Poster
    Originally posted by Mosfos+9 July 2003 - 22:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mosfos @ 9 July 2003 - 22:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@10 July 2003 - 03:03
    build your own pc. its 10 times cheaper and 100 times better than purchasing one from the likes of gateway etc.
    Actually, it costs more than to buy one from Gateway or Dell. [/b][/quote]
    Am I missing something here, on these quotes?

YES, you can build cheaper than DELL, you just have to know where to shop.
    I shop online, on eBay, and at computer shows&#33;

As far as the BEST PC? Like the people here say, it depends on what you want it to do.
    For example:
    Personally as a 3D gamer, I like a GOOD graphics card, but a sound card is not that important to me. So I use the onboard sound card, but spend a few extra dollars for the GeFORCE video card.

If you want a computer to do word regular processing, then an old 486 may be good enough.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Twist3r
    850 dollers

athlon xp 2800
    120 gig hard drive
    512 ram
    128 geforce 4
    CD-RW
    DVD

beat that&#33;&#33;&#33; its what im getting late this summer

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Originally posted by Spindulik+10 July 2003 - 16:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 10 July 2003 - 16:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mosfos@9 July 2003 - 22:39
    <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu
    @10 July 2003 - 03:03
    build your own pc. its 10 times cheaper and 100 times better than purchasing one from the likes of gateway etc.

Actually, it costs more than to buy one from Gateway or Dell.
    Am I missing something here, on these quotes?

YES, you can build cheaper than DELL, you just have to know where to shop.
    I shop online, on eBay, and at computer shows&#33;

As far as the BEST PC? Like the people here say, it depends on what you want it to do.
    For example:
    Personally as a 3D gamer, I like a GOOD graphics card, but a sound card is not that important to me. So I use the onboard sound card, but spend a few extra dollars for the GeFORCE video card.

If you want a computer to do word regular processing, then an old 486 may be good enough. [/b][/quote]
    If you the "build it yourself from scrap parts" route, I am sure you could do better pricewise, but not in real time price.

You would have to add in to the final price of your computer the opportunity cost of all the time you lost searching and researching for deals. At &#036;20 an hour , 8 hours of searching is another &#036;160 dollars you have to add on the to final price. And then you would have to add in the cost of gas driving to computer shows, and the time at computer shows, and lets say you get a ticket on the way to the show, etc...etc..

Personally, my time is worth more that that. I have way too many things to do than search for a deal on ebay especially when I have to hope that I am getting a good part...not to mention I have to pay for shipping for each part, which might not be in the condition the seller claims. Then you would have to add in the costs of hours of hassle installing the coponents of the computer.

The real issue is priortites. You see, for me, time is something that I do not have enough of to just blow like a horn. Maybe time is different for you. Maybe you enjoy assembling computers. That is good too. I enjoy what I can when I can about computers. But cost is the real issue. And you have to consider opportunity cost whenever you consider anything worth purchasing in the final result. B)

Cheers, though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    Buying anything on your own time is too bad. Even buying a DELL on your own time.

I love to build computers, as a hobby. I don&#39;t kill myself searching for the ultimate best buy. But I do know when I am getting ripped off.

I build my own PC, because I have the freedom to do so.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Poster
    the best computer i think is DELL

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Dell is the best manufacturer, but the BEST computer is the one that a super computer geek sets up...with excellent BIOS options, one that enables you to overclock easily a megahertz at a time, RAM timing settings, with water cooling.

The best thing about having so many options in BIOS is the fact that you can move ahead of today&#39;s technology and have tommorrow&#39;s processing speeds. But you have to know what you are doing to do it right. I guess you could fiddle around and f*#k sh#t up, but its better to learn from the pros on this board or Xbitites at Xbit labs

The real issue, once again, is cost. I will be in debt for the next 3 months just to barely afford my computer. But I love it. So nice. But it could always be better. But that has to wait until I finish taking all this calculus and get a fatty job and can make my own computer company...dreamin&#39;, lol...

My rant

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@10 July 2003 - 02:51
    Ars Technica has some pretty decent setups that are updated every couple of months.

The Budget Box (currently ~ &#036;650)
    The Hot Rod (currently ~ &#036;1,300)
    The God Box (currently ~ &#036;10,000)
    That is not a god box... more like could use some improvement box
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by Keikan@12 July 2003 - 10:26

That is not a god box... more like could use some improvement box
    I agree. I think win xp supports 10 monitors. I haven&#39;t seen one with 10 of the largest flat screens you can find yet. If you go to win server 2003 you can have 32 processors and 1 tarabyte (spelling?) of memory. This is just a start. I could add a &#036;50,000 sound system and other thing but that would take too long. God box should mean an infinate budget.

Maybe I should start my own post about this?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast