Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nhs

Poster
    who do you get to audit the figures.
    How about arthur andersen there trustworthy.

well Enron trusted them at least.

Neil

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Im still totally confused as to how the Government can even claim that PFI (PPP if you want the new name) is value for money.

Instead of paying to Build a Hospital, School or and other building they get the Private Sector to build one Garanteeing a 25 year lease...the price they pay over 25 years is probably 2.5 times as much as they would pay if they Contracted to build the work themselves...(Generally 10yr lease covers the cost of building something)

If they dont need the building 10 years down the line, they are still stuck with a 15 year lease they cant get out of, instead of a building that has gone up in value and they can sell at a profit as is, or for redevelopment.

At the end of the 25 years they have nothing to show for it, and the building can literally be taken off them in an open market.

On top of all this, there are a load of the firms that have been caught out in trying to Bribe officials....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think I may have an answer

Why doesn't the government pay part of our National Insurance Contributions to the likes of 'BUPA', then, when we become ill force 'BUPA' to honour what it says in its adverts and brochures. Te remaining part of our insurance contributions could be used to tend to the less fortunate.

I Bet 'BUPA' would like this idea(Like hell&#33
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Poster
    Originally posted by bigboab@11 July 2003 - 20:29
    I think I may have an answer

Why doesn't the government pay part of our National Insurance Contributions to the likes of 'BUPA', then, when we become ill force 'BUPA' to honour what it says in its adverts and brochures. Te remaining part of our insurance contributions could be used to tend to the less fortunate.

I Bet 'BUPA' would like this idea(Like hell&#33
    Or why doesn't the government say the likes of BUPA can only trade in Britain if the treat a percentage of NHS patients?

Neil.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Dunno if it could work - pay BUPA part of our NI? Could we afford to anyway? We need money for the NHS now and it may not be a good idea to give part of it to a private organisation.....

On the point of private medicine - d'ya think it's good or bad for the NHS? On one hand you have people who pay NI contributions but get treated privately, and so do not use the NHS's resources....but private hospitals may "steal" NHS staff and do not always offer a great health care service!

JUst my ramblings........

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Poster
    Originally posted by WeeMouse@11 July 2003 - 22:43
    Dunno if it could work - pay BUPA part of our NI? Could we afford to anyway? We need money for the NHS now and it may not be a good idea to give part of it to a private organisation.....

On the point of private medicine - d'ya think it's good or bad for the NHS? On one hand you have people who pay NI contributions but get treated privately, and so do not use the NHS's resources....but private hospitals may "steal" NHS staff and do not always offer a great health care service!

WeeMouse

As long as the excuse isn't made that if we have large ammounts of private patients then it's a reason to cut back the NHS

I think you have a very good point
    if many who can afford it pay for private medicine then the NHS will have less of a burden and be able to help the poorer in society
    the danger is then that we end up with a second rate NHS with all the best doctors/nurses and others staff being headhunted with huge salaries (by private medical companies) that the NHS cannot afford.

and worse still we could end up with a system like america where only the poorest get free treatment and only the richest can afford private
    then the ones in the middle just die in the gutter.
    I know America isn't that bleak but it's not far

Neil

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Originally posted by Neil__+11 July 2003 - 22:54--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Neil__ @ 11 July 2003 - 22:54)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-WeeMouse@11 July 2003 - 22:43

On the point of private medicine - d&#39;ya think it&#39;s good or bad for the NHS? On one hand you have people who pay NI contributions but get treated privately, and so do not use the NHS&#39;s resources....but private hospitals may "steal" NHS staff and do not always offer a great health care service&#33;

WeeMouse

As long as the excuse isn&#39;t made that if we have large ammounts of private patients then it&#39;s an excuse to cut back the NHS

I think you have a very good point
    if many who can afford it pay for private medicine then the NHS will have less of a burden and be able to help the poorer in society
    the danger is then that we end up with a second rate NHS with all the best doctors/nurses and others staff being headhunted with huge salaries that the NHS cannot afford.

and worse still we could end up with a system like america where only the poorest get free treatment and only the richest can afford private
    then the ones in the middle just die in the gutter.

Neil [/b][/quote]
    I definately wouldn&#39;t like to have an entirely privatized health care system&#33;

I think private medicine is getting more popular as employers offer BUPA packages and such like to employees - I myself have one&#33;

the NHS has been muddled with and screwed with for too many years now...it needds to be fixed, otherwise many more people will choose private medicine.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Does anyone know roughly how much each of us pays each year for the NHS (or what the total NHS budget is) and how much we&#39;d have to pay to get medical insurance of an equivalent scope from say BUPA? That would be quite interesting to know.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Just saw this report on some of the negative effects that setting targets can have:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3085105.stm

Though thinking about it, nobody ever mentions the positive effects of targets (and there must be some apart from cost cutting )

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    lynx's Avatar .
    I know that problems like this probably happen all over the country, but why is it that it almost always seems to be problems in Bristol which are reported in the news ?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast