Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torrent sites making $50,000 per month

Member BT Rep: +3
    This torrent site business must be quiet lucrative..... esepciallyt those sites that charge you for access. its a joke really.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    I do it purely for the fun of it. Money never even entered my head when I started in this game, although it did become an issue when we took the next step and moved on from my own PC.

A donation is a gift from a member showing appreciation for what you provide. If your lucky enough, the donations you receive should be enough to sustain your tracker. If not, then you have to put your hand in your pocket to sustain, or quit the game.

With respect to the giants, and indexers, they are a different ball game to the private TB derived sites. Most, if not all, have no membership requirements, and they are not donation driven, but rather they earn their revenue via advertising. Their revenue, therefore, is created by the willingness of people who visit their site, and click on their ads etc.

I don't blame them for generating such money. I'd do the same if I was in their position. At least they have a healthy balance to fight any court actions that may loom (TPB for example).

On the flip side of the coin, generating that much money from piracy will also have a good effect for small private trackers, because the heat will more likely be directed at the behemoths, allowing the private communities a small measure of freedom for the time being.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    tetrakis's Avatar Nucleophile BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i'm confused, how do they make so much money per month? just adds? and those BT sites that don't have adds, they make their money just from donations? 50K/month seems so high to me, but wtf do i know...nothing apparently.

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    pay per click dude
    and some fix ads

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    Vidde's Avatar Wubalicious <3 BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    I hate the idea of some sites making money for their own personal business.

I'm not saying they are, but when it's close to 50,000 dollars, I don't think they're spending it all on servers...

A torrentsite is supposed to survive, and that's it. You donate to keep the site alive, if you are in a lack of donations, you -can- do a fixed banner-thingy, but still just to keep the site alive. When you're making personal money on p2p, I pray to higher powers they're getting owned one day, and fined with hundred thousands of dollars.

It seems a bit harsch, but no one, and I mean NO ONE are supposed to make money on other people's work.

Amen
    -Vidde

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    Poster
    If they dedicate their lives to running the site (TPB), they should take a decent salary. We have so much to thank TPB for

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    dang...i wish i knew how to program C++ and .NET etc so i could get a piece of this action hahaha *sniff* html is easy enough

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidde View Post
    I hate the idea of some sites making money for their own personal business.

I'm not saying they are, but when it's close to 50,000 dollars, I don't think they're spending it all on servers...

A torrentsite is supposed to survive, and that's it. You donate to keep the site alive, if you are in a lack of donations, you -can- do a fixed banner-thingy, but still just to keep the site alive. When you're making personal money on p2p, I pray to higher powers they're getting owned one day, and fined with hundred thousands of dollars.

It seems a bit harsch, but no one, and I mean NO ONE are supposed to make money on other people's work.

Amen
    -Vidde
    there is old saying "robing a robber is not a crime"
    so actually its not their work in 1st place to be taken advantage on, its been stolen in 1st place.
    i totally disagree with not making money, as far as its not the donated money their taking advantage of they can make money out of their effort and risk.
    its not that people are forced to click those ads, they can always block those ads if they mean nothing to them.
    and again as said private tracker dont make those numbers so most probably donation's are spend in good cause, and open tracker dont ask for donation or ratios because they make money out of advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    dang...i wish i knew how to program C++ and .NET etc so i could get a piece of this action hahaha *sniff* html is easy enough
    you dont need to, most of the private tracker(atleast until a while ago) provide a copy of redbeared tracker code, you just need to setup server details and you'll have your tracker up.
    Last edited by BawA; 10-19-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

9. News (Archive)   -   #19
    Contrary to what the topic post says. I beleive most of these sites making that much monthly are skimming the donations. They are not making 50k a month off of adds.

I know of a site that has mentioned to me they make 60k in donations avg per month.
    I could see if they were using the money for supplying stuff or even supplying uploaders with files ect... but this site im mentioning doesnt even really use the money for anything. Their files are all submitted by users.
    Thats a real shame to see some sites making that much money and lining their pockets... when many small private communities dont even get enough donations to pay their server bills.

10. News (Archive)   -   #20
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    I think that if the site makes money then good for them. As long as they are not exploiting the users to make money then who cares? Ask the big site owners how much personal time they spend on managing the site and I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty much a second job. As long as the site isn't extorting members what does it really matter? If the site makes enough off of donations every month then get rid of advertisements.

<-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast