Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torrent sites making $50,000 per month

0tis's Avatar Poster
    wow. i knew some sites make a good profit but that's insane. as far as i am concerned they're taking huge risks for our benefit and i say good for them if they make a nice living doing it. i don't agree with p2l at all but if we're not being forced into donations, and not being forced into clicking ads then i say they deserve it for all the hard work they do and risks they take. i just wish they would share the wealth with me.

-otis

2. News (Archive)   -   #22
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    amazing stats!

3. News (Archive)   -   #23
    well I am not a website owner so i dont know, but would ads generate that much money a month? would people click them that many times ... I thought it was like $ .0001 a click or something stupid like that ... that would be 500,000,000 clicks a month ....

the majority of this would have to be through donations, but since you are donating (giving money) then who cares if it is lining the pockets fo the owners ...

4. News (Archive)   -   #24
    I'm back! :o BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty99 View Post
    well I am not a website owner so i dont know, but would ads generate that much money a month? would people click them that many times ... I thought it was like $ .0001 a click or something stupid like that ... that would be 500,000,000 clicks a month ....

the majority of this would have to be through donations, but since you are donating (giving money) then who cares if it is lining the pockets fo the owners ...
    On some advertising setups you can set the minimal amount of cents per click on the ads, So if they set the minimum amount to 10 cents, Thats only 10 clicks per dollar. Some sites pay 10 dollars a click on there PTC profile, So 50k clicks on them would make 50k in a simple way.

Depends what traffic that get and if these big sites are willing to pay $1 per click on their ads etc.

5. News (Archive)   -   #25
    misledhope's Avatar What.cd Mod BT Rep: +3
    i have no issue with sites making that much in revenue as long as its not by telling users they need donations to run the servers. sites with ad revenue like that do not need any donations and the sites that do need donations to run if their is an overage i dont see an issue with the owner making a decent salary from it but nothing like that.

6. News (Archive)   -   #26
    Making money a living hosting a webserver to me sounds like every geek's dream. I'm glad they are making money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidde View Post
    It seems a bit harsch, but no one, and I mean NO ONE are supposed to make money on other people's work.

Amen
    -Vidde
    This is a vague statement. (The following argument pertains to public trackers and semi-private trackers without the peer-id [eg. demonoid] only).
    Even though it is immoral (not to mention very much illegal) to buy a movie, album, etc. and turn around and sell it to other people for a profit, the trackers are not doing this (obviously).
    Instead, they take advantage of their visitors by incorporating pay-per-click advertising on their site.
    Trackers provide torrent files that provide a swarm of peers from which people can then get their file(s). So the source of the tracker's profits are two degrees away from the product than the aforementioned scenario:
    The lowest tier (1): The peers with the copyrighted file(s)
    - the direct source, disconnected from the tracker
    The middle tier (2): The torrent file that connects the "buyer" to the swarm
    - torrent files are semi-disconnected from the tracker, since you can get, for example, a demonoid torrent file from thepiratebay (or from your friend for that matter)
    The top tier (3): The site, or the "seller"
    - they the torrent files and the advertisements/donation function that create the revenue
    *Subdividing tier 3: the site subdivided into the site and the source of income
    -since no one is making you donate or click on the advertisements in exchange for the torrent files, the site (or rather the script providing the torrent files) should be tier 3a and the direct source of revenue (donations, ads) should be tier 3b
    -i my self never donate and never click on ads (i got them disable ), so they don't get any money from me (unless their revenue from ads is based on the number of visitors per month as well ; in that case, the subdivision is fallacious!).

In the opening scenario, the source of revenue was directly connected to the copyrighted material. There was one degree of separation there.So since the source of the tracker's profit is two (potentially three) degrees away from the copyrighted data, the situation is much (potentially much much!) less moral than you portray it to be, Vidde.
    Last edited by Brenya; 10-20-2007 at 08:55 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #27

8. News (Archive)   -   #28
    dnero73's Avatar Poster
    wow but you know they are taking a big risk they could end up paying 10 times that if they loose a law suit also they pay for the servrs and donīt a lot of the BT torrent sites also pay for seedboxes so members can download faster. If they make that much money i guess thats just good hustle.

9. News (Archive)   -   #29
    LaPistola's Avatar about BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    dang...i wish i knew how to program C++ and .NET etc so i could get a piece of this action hahaha *sniff* html is easy enough
    torrent sites use php
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    I don't know about the north but in the south an Englishman is about as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123