Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is america over medicated?

Fly'sEyes BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by kallieb View Post
    Most definitely over-medicated, and not just the US. Superbugs are the new threat, and will give rise to the next pandemic. Why! Because the mutation of the viruses (germs not computers) results in it making it harder to treat this new strains.

Also, the health care system is similar to the herding of cows. Move em in and on as fast as you can. Sad, have a pill. Too fat, have another pill. Anxious about things, well there's a pill for that to. I suppose we are a bit to blame, we want immediate gratification, and some things just naturally are supposed to take some time.

If I wanted to lose weight, I should not expect it to come from a pill, but that is how we've been nurtured. The pharmaceutical industry is probably the most profitable and powerful (the two typically go together) industry out there. Believe me, I'm certain they must have an entire division/sector that devises marketing strategies for pills that are designed to trick us into thinking that it will help us feel better about how well we sleep, have sex, interact with people, etc etc.

So, yup, we're over-medicated all right. It's the matrix all over again. Muwahahaha
    I agree - the discourses surrounding the attitudes towards health and well-being is a big contributor to the problem

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Well I think the problem is too many normal people are watching TV commercials etc. and hear of a new drug/disease and go to the doctor demanding previously mentioned medication. Infective bugs are be coming more immune to common anti-infective drugs such as certain narrow spectrum penicillin that *were* great at treated gram + infections. Now, people over-medicate anti-infectives such as cephalosporins and more when they are not needed for a simple cold. Patient demands make most doctors feel the need to write the prescription when symptoms have not proved that it was an actual bacteria infection. Then, most/some patients will not finish the pills as recommended, allowing the infection to not fully be eliminated. BUT pharmaceutical companies have created drugs for diseases previously un-treatable and allowed patients to live more comfortable lives. But anyone in the medical field would know that medication is 2nd line of prevention, not the first.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Ænima's Avatar 2 in 1 BT Rep: +1
    Over-medication is the least of America's worries (or at least it should be haha).

I've noticed allot of antidepressants being thrown around, especially at my old school. The dominant one was definitely Prozac. Prozac (or Fluoxetine hydrochloride) has a shit-load of side effects, which to my surprise doesn't stop people from taking it:

"Fluoxetine is generally well tolerated. The most common side effects for patients taking Fluoxetine are as follows: Oh my! Did he say seizures?

Despite that, 21 million were prescribed in 2006 (source in pdf).
    Last edited by Ænima; 11-07-2007 at 03:00 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12