Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW Advice

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Not a whole lot, but I REALLY want that CPU so I cant really spend a bunch on a MoBo that supports it, If anyone knows of a good combo for around $1000-$1200 or less that would be cool too.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I can appreciate (and sympathize) with the desire to own a truly cutting edge bit 'o kit but...

-In my experience, the realization- in a matter of weeks- that your uberpart has already been superceded by something even better , is sort of a bummer.

-Any PC works better if the parts are balanced.
    In this case, if you're going top of the line on the chip you should be prepared to go that zoot on the board and RAM as well.

-If I had to choose, I'd spend big on the board and cut back on the chip. That way, when the chip in question does fall from the price summit, you could pick it up at a significant discount and plop it onto the board which is already set for it.
    At that point technology has already doomed the entire platform to obsolescence and it's time to start all over again.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    In computer hardware, I will NEVER buy a newly released product. You will waste a lot of money and you'll wake up tomorrow and have an outdated part.
    The trick is to buy the second "top of the line" product.

In short, I agree with clocker

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Funny just now I was eating dinner and thinking the same thing, thats so weird I have WiFi in my head. The thing is I don't really know too much about MoBo's. What would a decent step down be From the ATM I have Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
    and I do want something better but now I might keep the Gigabyte board because I like it a whole lot unless of course someone has a better suggestion

OKAY I think I finnaly got the Combo I want what do you guys think

EDIT wrong CPU in screen

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

The one I want
    Last edited by Detale; 11-09-2007 at 10:33 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    abit ip35-e
    intel e6750

good combo in my opinion

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    The Q6600 is a good chip to overclock as well.
    There are many people getting 3.4-3.6Ghz on air cooling, and up to 3.8Ghz on water

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    I think Im going to got with the q6600 almost for sure

But what about the MoBo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128066

I think it is good but I can me a moron at times

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Too bad it lacks native eSATA on the backplane I/O and I'd also prefer that the onboard SATA ports be oriented parallel to the board instead of perpendicular.

Just nitpicks really, but it's not a cheap board so I'd expect the very best.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i 2 was looking @ teh p35 ds4 v2 board, but i plan on running SLi with the new BFG 8800gt's. i'm on the lookout for the nForce 780i chipset even though it's basically the 680i with pci-e 2.0. only thing that's gonna change my mind is the ati 3870's. looking sweet so far, but if it's not on par with the former said card then i'll be going nVidia. i'd love for ati to cum up a notch and finally gain some ground vs nVidia for i'd love to own an ati card again. ati does have the superiour hardware, but the damn things just can't keep up. nVidia has a good thing going. 780i's are scheduled for a december release (don't really wanna wait this long) and the 3800 series in 1 weeks time.

ur x38 chipsets aren't doing well @ all atm (as well as my 780i's). terrible bios problems. i understand bios fixes will soon cum, but the gain over the p35 boards just aren't there for the extra money spent. even though imma sucker for the words pci-e 2.0 right now. gl with ur build. mines in the works. can't wait.

edit: btw, q6600 ftw!
    Last edited by mr. nails; 11-10-2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added q6600 fanboi material
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    So what board are you going with Nails??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast